chapter fourteen!

Depuis le début

*   *   *

Later that day, Allison and Jackson were in the swimming pool doing laps and racing each other. Scott was up in the stands watching them but out of their sight. He was rummaging through her bags trying to find her necklace when he caught some of their conversation.

"You beat me again," whined Allison.

"I have an unfair advantage. You see these cheekbones? Aerodynamically suited for speed in water." Jackson joked before asking her the question he really wanted to know, "So you're coming to the game tonight, right?"

"I was thinking no," Allison hummed.

"You have to. We win tonight, we're in the semifinals. It's not because of Scott, right?" Jackson checked.

"I was thinking it might be a little weird," she admitted.

"He's fine with it. He actually asked me if you were coming. He said he hoped you didn't feel weird about it," Jackson lied.

"He did?" Allison asked, shocked.

"Yeah. You know, he's a good guy. You can't hate him too much. I mean, it's pretty obvious he's a little immature to be dating somebody like you. But then, you - you can't really blame him for trying,"

Scott's hands balled into fists and he walked away from her bag briskly, having enough.

*   *   *

"Jackson! This little text-not funny!" screamed Lydia as she found her (ex)boyfriend down the hall.

"No, I wasn't trying to be funny. I would have put a 'ha ha' at the end of it. And, see, there's no 'ha ha," he pointed out harshly, enjoying her disturbed and heartbroken look on her face.

He knew it was unfair, and that she didn't know what he knew, but she was getting in the way and he didn't feel that way for her any more. He always wanted the best thing he could have, and it wasn't her anymore; it was the bite. He knew she was going to be upset but he tricked himself into believing that he didn't actually care about her anymore and that she was just a barricade to his success.

"'Lydia, please give back my spare house key at your earliest convenience-As we are no longer dating'?" Lydia read out his text that he sent her making sure they were on the same page about what they were talking about. He was mouthing along with the text, cockily.

"You didn't lose it, did you?" He asked when she finished.

"What the hell is this?" She screamed again.

"Well, Lydia, in preparation for some big changes, I've decided to drop some of the dead weight in my life. And you're just about the deadest." Ok maybe he took that one a bit far but he couldn't help it, he was on a roll and was finally getting rid of her.

"Are you breaking up with me?"

"Dumping, actually. I'm dumping you."

"Dumped by the co-captain of the lacrosse team. I wonder how many minutes it'll take me to get over that. Wait, seconds, actually. Seconds!" Lydia yelled at him when he walked away from her. She ran into the bathroom crying her eyes out.

Elle spotted Lydia turn into the nearest bathroom with a red face and watery eyes. She narrowed her own and took off towards the strawberry blonde. She rushed over and pulled the door back to let her in.

Lydia was sat on one of the seats with a tissue as she cried convulsively. Elle gasped and chucked her bag down in the corner and jogged over to her friend, pulling her to herself in a tight squeeze. She stroked Lydia's long red locks as she kept her head on her friends shoulder, never stopping crying. Isabelle just shushed her and carried on stroking.