Chapter Twelve

I went through the portal and that time, I didn't stumble. My mom held me upright as though I was a fragile object that couldn't be dropped. With every breath that I took, I could feel an ache in my chest. Every time I opened and closed my hand I could feel a stinging sensation. I closed my eyes for a minute, letting the slight vertigo go away from portaling back, before I walked through the library and out of the door. My mom was quick on my heels, but I was looking for Jace.

Finally, I found him in the main hallway. Beside him was Alec, Isabelle, Maryse, and Brother Zachariah. I saw his head move to face me, and then he turned and left the Institute. Jace shifted his gaze, seeming to brighten up at the sight of me. I couldn't help but smile.

But he didn't return it. He started toward me and I sped up to reach him sooner. Once we were in touching distance, he pulled me into a tight hug. I let out a painful noise and he immediately let go. He seemed to realize, "What did the Iron Sisters do?" He asked me. He looked at my mom, "How did it go?"

"I'm officially divorced." It sounded weird coming off of my tongue. I pulled my shirt down slightly to show the long slice going down my chest, right over the rune. It was severed, and already it was beginning to fade. The same for my hand.

"That looks like it hurts," Jace said, concern in his voice. He pulled out his stele, "Let me heal you-"

"No. She said to just wait a little bit, for it to fade." I cut him off quickly. I looked into his eyes, and only then did I notice that something was off, "Why was brother Zachariah here?"

"The Clave is sending more Shadow Hunters," he told me, "The other ones weren't... fit for the job." One glance at Maryse, Alec and Isabelle and I knew that he was hiding something.

"Is that all?" I inquired, and he looked away for a moment before his gaze returned to me.

"That's all," he said, his voice quiet, "Come on, let's get you in bed. You should at least rest a little bit. It's been a long day."

"She can come home with me," my mother spoke. I turned towards her, furrowing my eyebrows, "If you'd like."

"I think I feel safe here, under the Clave's protection." I told her and she gave a small nod, "You should, too."

She looked as if she were in thought for a moment. Looking at her, I could see a few thin wrinkles scattered on her face. They were barely noticeable unless you were looking closely.

"I think I'm going to go stay with Luke for a little while," she responded, her voice soft. I know that she wanted me to stay with her, but the safest option for the both of us was me being here with the Clave's protection. And her, away from me. I forced a smile, nodding, "Alright baby. I'll text you, okay? Keep in touch."

"Of course," I whispered. When she'd hugged me and walked away, I turned to Jace, "What happened?"

"What are you talking about?" He asked, feigning confusion. I blinked at him, waiting. After a few moments he sighed, "Sebastian came. When he left, we went to tell others and we found Clave Shadow Hunters dead."

"How many?" I asked, my eyes wide. He gave me a look that I couldn't recognize.

"All of them." He told me. I felt like my blood was turning cold and I averted my gaze, "He came through a projection, like Valentine did that once. We couldn't touch him—that I knew of—but he could touch everything here."

Alec made eye contact with me, and he and Isabelle walked over, "They're bringing more here," Alec told me, "But they're figuring out a plan to get rid of Sebastian."

"Get rid of?" I asked, and his pale blue eyes met my green ones again.

"Kill." Jace's voice was sharp, and I saw that he was looking at me. Almost like he was waiting for something to happen.