Chapter Nine

By the time Jace and I woke up the next morning, the Clave had their best Shadow Hunters dispatched to the Institute, residing and guarding against my brother. It was a bittersweet feeling. I'd wanted to believe in him for a moment there, but then the realization of how truly Evil he was hit me right in the face once I'd seen Jace.

I looked at Jace then, the bright sunlight casting its warm rays on him. He was facing me, so the sunlight shined from behind, making it look like he had a Halo. He truly looked like an angel. I snuggled closer to him, breathing him in. He smelled like soap and sunshine.

He'd taken a shower with me last night before we went to bed. It wasn't anything more than a shower, but I enjoyed the time spent with him. Through the experience with Sebastian, I felt closer to him than before. I saved his life, he'd told me several times, for a second time. I had to remind him that he was the only reason I was able to get us out of there.

"Good morning," He murmured, a smile forming on his lips. I groaned in response, wanting him to hold me for just a little while longer. He obliged, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer to him.

It wasn't until Isabelle knocked on the door to tell me that my mother was there with Luke and Simon that he let me go. I let out a long sigh, getting up. He got up after me and we went into the bathroom together. We both brushed our teeth, sneaking glances at each other in the mirror.

We walked out of his room, hand in hand after cleaning up. My mom saw me from down the hall and started running, Luke close behind. I saw Simon talking to Isabelle, but as soon as he saw me he stopped, his face brightening up. Everything was happening in slow motion, like how bombs exploded in movies or how those dramatic running scenes played out. It was just like that.

My mom and Luke pulled me into a hug that I had to let go of Jace's hand for. He didn't mind, though. My mom pulled away and so did Luke. Her hands went to my face frantically, as if she was checking for any injuries on my face. Then, her gaze traveled down to my chest and I saw her deflate.

I pulled down my shirt slightly to show her, and I held up my hand too. She put a hand over her mouth, "Oh, Clary." She said, her voice breaking. Luke put a hand on her back.

"The Iron Sisters can break it," Luke told her reassuringly. He turned around, "Come on, Jocelyn. Simon wants to see her."

As soon as they stepped to the side, Simon's grin was all that I saw. He was in front of me in a flash using his Vampire speed, pulling me into a tight hug. I could tell that he was trying to be gentle, "Clary, I thought I lost you." He whispered, and I breathed in his scent. He didn't smell like much, just the familiar laundry detergent. I smiled, sniffling.

"I was only gone for a few days, Simon." I told him as he pulled away. He tilted his head.

"Clary, you were gone for a week." He said and I blinked at him, my eyebrows furrowing together.

"What?" I asked. He repeated himself, but I wasn't listening.

"It felt like..." I trailed off, turning to Jace, "How long were you-"

"Five days," Jace cut me off. I looked at him—really looked at him—and saw that he had bruises littering his face and jaw. My mouth opened in surprise.

"I-I thought it was two days..." I stammered, looking down. He took my hands into his.

"It's okay, Clare," He responded, "We're okay now. We're out. We're safe."

We spent the next few minutes talking with Luke, my mom and Simon, explaining everything. We decided that we'd be going to the Iron Sisters sometime within the next few days, when things settled down. Until then, Jace and I were to stay here under the protection of the Clave. Even then, though, I didn't feel safe.

We were then sent to get something to eat. I knew that Jace needed it more than I did. So we ate, and then we were left alone in the Kitchen. Two Shadow Hunters were standing outside, giving us our privacy. I turned towards Jace, "We've survived a lot together," I said, and he looked towards me with a smile on his hand, "We make a pretty good team."

"We always, somehow, find each other." He looked down at my hand with the rune on it, intentionally taking the opposite one. He kissed it gently, "It's almost like fate."

"Almost," I responded, my voice quiet as I rested my head against his shoulder, "Almost."