Chapter Seven

"You need an iratze," I said, concern in my tone. I supported him as we walked out into the hall, "I don't have a stele."

"I know where he keeps them." He steered me to the place that Sebastian had shown me once before. Using a sensor was the only way to get it open, and luckily Jace was still in the system. The wall opened up to reveal a training room. We both walked in together and he led me to the back.

The back wall held weapons of all types, and a few steles as well. My eyes went to a familiar one, and I recognized it as my mother's. I reached for it, but Jace pulled me back, "Only I can grab it," He told me, taking it off of the table, "You probably would be thrown backwards. I'm not sure, but I don't want to risk it." He explained himself quickly, handing it to me.

I was glad to have the familiar, cool object in my hand. I took a deep breath, carefully tracing an iratze onto his arm. I watched as the gash in his head faded, leaving dried blood behind. He stretched out, standing on his own now. He turned towards me, his eyes wide, "Now, we leave."

I walked over to the wall, remembering the runes to draw a portal. I quickly drew them, knowing that we probably didn't have much time until Sebastian got back. After a few runes, there was a glittery surface shining in front of us. Jace and I both looked at each other and he grabbed my hand.

Looking at him, I felt the guilt pressing down on me. I had kissed Sebastian, my own brother. I couldn't understand why I did it, or how I'd brought myself to. But with Jace beside me now, I felt the guilt of it. I shoved that thought away and we both started to run into the portal.

At the last step, the door opened to reveal a surprised looking Sebastian. I saw a look of anger on his face just as we made it into the portal. I stumbled at the last moment, tripping into it. Jace's hand was tight on mine and we both were transported to wherever he was thinking of.

I was thrown onto the ground, and he landed gracefully. My heart was hammering in my chest and I scrambled to my feet to close the portal. He helped me up and I clutched my stele, closing the portal as quickly as I could. A part of me knew that it didn't matter. He had his ring, and could come after either of us at any time.

I pushed that thought away, realizing that we were in the library of the Institute. I let out a sound of disbelief. We had done it. I turned to him and he was smiling. He pulled me towards him, kissing me like he hadn't kissed me before.

We were safe, and together. That was all that mattered.

Jace and I made our way out of the library and into the hallway in search of Isabelle or Alec. We found Church cleaning himself by the doorway, "Where are they, Church?" Jace asked. The slim cat started to walk in front of us, leading the way to the main entrance of the Institute.

There, we found Maryse, Izzy, and Alec all standing around. They looked like they'd been crying. Once they heard Church's meow, they looked up. Immediately, their faces brightened.

Jace held firmly onto my hand until Alec neared him. Only then did he let go and hug Alec like a brother that he hadn't seen in years. I smiled slightly until I felt Isabelle crashing into me. She pulled me into a bone crunching hug, "Thank the angel you two are okay!" She said in my ear. I sniffled, hugging her back. After a few seconds, she moved to hug Jace and Alec came towards me.

I hadn't expected him to hug me, but he did. He pulled me into a brief hug, murmuring a 'thank you' in my ear before breaking away. Maryse cried into Jace's shoulder, hugging him tightly. It left me wondering how long he'd been gone. I'd been in Sebastian's clutches for three days, I thought. I wasn't sure now, though. It seemed like that, but it could've been much longer. Jace and I spent a short amount of time explaining ourselves before Maryse took us both to the infirmary.

"Clary made a portal and got us out of there," Jace said as Maryse cleaned him of all of the blood on his face. She wiped it away with a warm rag, knowing that his wounds were already healed. I sat next to Jace the entire time in the infirmary as she checked him of any unseen cuts.

"His reasoning for taking you was because Jace was making sure Alec was okay?" Isabelle asked for confirmation. I gave a slow nod.

"He said he'd been watching me for a while, making sure that I was safe." I bit my lip, feeling guilty for kissing him. He'd killed Max. How could I have done something like that?

Isabelle looked down, her gaze catching onto my chest. She narrowed her eyes and then they widened. I looked down, not seeing anything, "Jace." She said, panic in her voice. He turned towards us, stopping mid conversation. He followed her gaze to my chest and he stood up, pulling my shirt down.

I wanted to tell him to stop, not understanding what the hell he was doing. But I stopped when I saw the look of horror on his face, "No..." He breathed. His gaze shifted up to my eyes and I saw him swallow hard.

"What?" I asked, not seeing what they were looking at. It was the skin of my chest, so what? I looked up at them.

"You can't see it?" Isabelle spoke. Maryse's lips were parted slightly. Alec stood up from his chair, walking towards me. His mouth opened slightly too.

"Can someone tell me what is going on?" I asked, my voice rising.

"Clary, give me your hand," Jace whispered. I gave it to him and he looked at the back of my hand, "No." He dropped it, covering his face with his hands. He turned away, walking some distance. I could hear a muffled sound and I realized he was crying. The boy who never cried again.

"What?" I asked, feeling as though my chest was being squeezed at the sight of him crying. I tore my gaze from him, looking down and still not seeing anything.

"Clary, you have the runes of marriage," Maryse said, her voice soft, "And I'm sure that Sebastian has the other two."