Sixteen

She was sixteen, skating out on the lake with Link the day before Christmas.

They said they would make it.

She tried to hope; but her hope was wearing thin.

Zelda decided to ignore her doubts and instead enjoy the time she could spend with Link.

She only saw him for the two weeks of Christmas break... The year before Zelda had promised to call him. Link didn't have a phone, so they talked through the vacation home's. They would talk for hours as Zelda described what was going on at her school, and just life in general.

"Hey! You said that you weren't any good at this!" Zelda yelled as she tried to skate after him, but she wobbled drastically and sat back down at the edge of the lake.

"I wasn't," he replied with a grin. "When I told you that!" He laughed as he skated back over to her and held out his hand. "Come on, I'll try not to let you fall."

"Try?"

"I don't make promises I can't keep. Face it Zel, you're a clutz," he said as he smirked.

She rolled her eyes. "Alright then, trying is enough for me," she said as she took his hand and let him pull her up. She wobbled again and grabbed Link tightly. "Why is this fun," she exclaimed as she groaned. "My ankles are done."

Link laughed as he started to skate, pulling her after him. "It just is."

"This is madness!" she screamed as she shakily glided after him.

He laughed again as he turned around and started to skate backwards.

"W-what are you doing?"

"I'm showing off," Link replied.

"Well, don't make me fall!"

"I won't," he replied.

Zelda's ankle twisted and Link had to catch her before she tripped.

"Told you I wouldn't make you fall."

"...Yeah that was my own fault... thanks," she said; her pulse racing as she steadied herself with his support.

"Maybe we should be done for now?"

"No, I want to keep trying. Only way to get better right?"

--

After almost an hour the sun had started to set, casting a beautiful light onto the frozen lake.

"How pretty!" Zelda exclaimed as she stopped.

Link, a little slow on the uptake, circled around and stopped beside her. "Very pretty," he agreed.

Zelda had fallen a few times after she had decided to try to skate without his help; she'd gotten it eventually, but her butt hurt from hitting the ice. A feeling she was quite used to from how clumsy she was.

"Ready to be done?" Link asked.

Zelda nodded. "Yes; I'm cold," she said.

They skated together over to the side of the lake and sat to take their skates off. Together they watched the sunset glimmer on the surface of the ice.

-

As they were walking inside together, a young girl on the staff held out Zelda's cellphone to her. "Miss Zelda, you left this in the house and it kept ringing..."

Zelda smiled to her. "Thank you," she said as she took the phone and then checked the messages.

"Zel?" Link asked. "Zel you've been quiet for awhile, what's wrong?"

She shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut. "It's..." she held out her hand to him the text she'd received.

Sorry Zelda, we won't be able to make it again this year. See you in a week. Hope you like your presents.

"Over text..." Link said; he sounded angry. "I'm so sorry Zel..." he said as he took her into his arms.

She started to cry into his shoulder as she clutched him tight against her.

Link rubbed his hand up and down her back comfortingly as she cried against him.

"Thank you... for being here for me Link..."

"I'm happy to be here with you."

Zelda drew back from him and wiped her eyes on her coat. "Cried all over you...sorry."

"Don't worry about it," he said with a small smile as he held out his hand to her.

She finished wiping her face and took his hand. "Where are we going?"

"Not far," he replied as he pulled her outside.

"You really are the only reason Christmas isn't a bad memory for me..." Zelda admitted as she smiled up at him. Her eyes were still red from crying, but her face was now devoid of tears.

Link stopped walking and turned back to her. A wide smile spread across his face, then he glanced above them and then back to her.

"Wha-" she started to ask as she looked up. Her eyes widened suddenly, and then she blinked a few times. She squeezed his hand as she raised her gaze to his eyes, then she smiled slightly.

Link's smile widened and then he leaned in and kissed her under the mistletoe.