8 - Visitor

I lay on the bed, eyes closed and hands crossed over my chest. I felt violated; disgusted with myself. Now that I was back to my sane mind I couldn't stand to face what I had done. I drank from a person, a werewolf no less. My clan was one of the few against feeding on human beings. The thought repulsed them; repulsed me. It still does now. But I couldn't deny Caleb's blood was the most delicious thing I'd ever tasted.

I tried to tell myself it was just hunger, that anything would have tasted like a five star desert, but I wasn't going to kid myself. I realized quickly the blood I'd first tasted in a glass wasn't Caleb's. It wasn't quite the same. My guess was some creature he plucked from the woods.

Though I was starving then, more so than just before, what was in the glass compared nothing to what I'd just tasted.

I tried to push it out of my mind but every time it managed to worm its way back. I needed a distraction. I needed to think of a way out of here. It had only been a few days and I could already feel myself growing softer. I needed to run in the trees and be the merciless vampire I've always been.

A loud knock interrupted my thoughts. I didn't move but interpreted who it was. Caleb had come to forget to knock. It must have been one of his pack members.

Not caring enough to move, I stayed in place.

A few seconds later the knock came again.

I sat up, looking at the door curiously. If it was someone Caleb sent they would have entered after the first  knock. What was going on?

Standing up, I slowly made my way closer to the door, stopping when the knock came again. It was loud but didn't come from the door in front of me.

I zipped around to face the window. It was dark out, nearly midnight. I had to take a few steps closer before I could see the outline of a person perched outside.

Hurriedly, I rushed over to the pane, using my regained strength to snap the lock and push the window open. I took a step away to give him room to enter.

Alex swung his legs in first, moving his torso in short after to stand fully in front of me. His skin was light just like mine and seemed to intensify his orange eyes. His clothing matched the night but stuck out like a sore thumb in this room. A smile crept on his face as his eyes locked on to mine. A similar one rose on my face.

Alex reached out a arm, placing it around my back to pull me to him in an one arm hug. It was friendly and quick. Alex letting go after an second and took a step back.

"We've been wondering where you went Shadow. Running with the wolves are we?" He teased. I rolled my eyes at him. Alex was an joker but I considered him to be the closest person I knew. After my parents abandoned me, Alex made the most effort to cheered me up. We just grew close.

"Not exactly." I said. Alex quirked a smirk. His eyes trailed the room, taking it in and raising an eyebrow.

"A few of us saw you get attacked. We've been planning on how to get you back but it was too slow. I needed to see if they were torturing you and could break you out quick." He said. A smile came to my face. It was nice to know I at least had some back up on the outside. I was more of a loner in my clan. I didn't make friends with the other vampires more than I needed to. Alex was the only one I really cared for.

"Thanks." I said. Alex shrugged.

"No problem." We stood silently, enjoying each other presence after so long. It had been ages since I'd seen another vampire. After being surrounded by dogs for so long it was nice.

Alex broke the contact first, allowing his eyes to wander around the room again.

"So why are you here? You don't look too bad, better than most of us. Our plan went south. Richard and a few more who got close are gone. Lucky I fled before they hailed." The brunette said. I tensed slightly at his question. Memory's flooded my head of my last few days in captivity.