7 - First Bite

Three nights had passed since my attempted escape. After fighting with all I could I ended up passing out and then waking up back in that same room. I felt miserable. Half in shame for my failure and half in soreness from my wounds. I couldn't beilve how they had managed to keep me concealed. I would normally be able to get out of these situations in a flash but somehow I was trapped. I felt pathetic.

With every day I grew weaker. Physically and emotionally. They had tried relentlessly to feed me but I always refused. The Alpha, Caleb, hadn't visited since the escape attempt. I pondered wether it was because he was angry with me or the pack ended neglected notifying him. I didn't care either way. My only concern was regaining my strength.

I was laying flat on the floor, eyes closed and dreaming of the outside. I heard the footsteps outside the room before the door opened.

Snapping into a sitting position, I waited with narrowed eyes for the guest to enter. I was almost surprised when I met rusty red locks.

Caleb stepped into the room, making sure to shut the door securely. His eyes scanned around the room before noticing me on the floor and frowning slightly. I kept my eyes narrowed, waiting for him to speak.

"I'm sorry I didn't visit you in a while. I was caught up with pack business." Caleb explained. I didn't reply and Caleb nodded, as if expecting that. Slowly, he kneeled down, lowering himself to my level.

Despite myself, I was taken back by this action. Alphas are supreemly dominating creatures and thrive on expressing their superiority. Sinking to my level was like him treating me as an equal.

Caleb eyes locked on to mine, soft orbs refusing to let me look away once I was caught.

"I know I shouldn't trap you in this room but I really hope you understand. I don't know if you know a lot about wolf mating but now that I've found you if you leave I'll die. And I can't leave my pack right now." Caleb explained almost pleadingly. I didn't reply but managed to tear my eyes from his and look at the ground. I knew if I left he'd die. Not quickly or painless but through suffering and depression. I shouldn't have felt sorry; he was the monster that attacked my clan and kidnapped me. Even so, I couldn't ignore the small pang in my chest.

We sat in silence after that. I could feel Caleb's eyes on me but I didn't acknowledge it. Finally after a few minutes, Caleb let out a sigh and moved to stand. I heard his feet move across the floor towards the exit. At first I thought he was going to leave again. But just as he came a foot from the door he stopped.

"I'm free for a while. If you want I could show you around the house. It must be boring being trapped in here all day." He said. A spark ignited in my head. It was perfect. I could break free while he's distracted and run for it. Though I'm weak, there a chance I could make it to the boundary line.

Trying not to show my enthusiasm, I slowly nodded my head and raised myself onto my feet. Without breaking my emotionless mask, I made my way over to Caleb's side, anxiousness coursing through my body. His eyes followed me, soft orbs almost feeling penetrating on my skin. It was an natural skill of mine to mask my feeling. I had done it ever since I could remember and fooled far superior foe. So why did it feel like Caleb could see right through me?

Neither of us moved from our positions next to the door. I waited for him to open it but he seemed to have no intention of doing so. I wondered if he expected me to.

"You'll have to hold my hand. I won't be able to stay relaxed unless I know you won't try to escape." Caleb finally spoke. I almost narrowed my eyes in anger, knowing he had plans this all along. Thankfully I managed to resist, fearing it would limit my chances of escape.