six

six

Matty helped Nolan into a highchair, making sure he wasn't going to fall out. Nolan was good at squirming, then falling, then crying.

Luke sat across from his husband, the dim lights of the restaurant casting a glow upon Matt's sharp features.

It was their eighth anniversary, the second with Nolan. Last year, they stayed home because the small newborn in their hands was too fragile to take out. At least, Luke was convinced he was too fragile.

Nolan simply seemed so tiny, too tiny. He was worried the wind would tear him from Luke's arms.

"What are we going to feed Picky?" Matty asked, referring to their child.

"I have no idea," he responded, looking through the menu.

Matty reached over, poking at Nolan's hands until he looked over. He made faces at the tiny baby, loving the laughter rising from his lips.

It was annoying the older couple next to them, but Matty and Luke just liked to have some fun.

Calum yelled for Michael from the kitchen. "Have you seen the basil?"

"I don't even know what the hell that is," he yelled back. Mike sat down next to June, already beginning to eat their pasta dish. Everything they ate seemed to be pasta, it was one of two dishes Michael knew how to make.

Calum gave up with a huff of annoyance. He brought his dish back to the table, sitting at the head and smiling at his family. Michael was family.

Mike was nervously rubbing the palms of his hands together in an anxious-like matter. Today was the night they were going to ask the girls about Michael moving in. Michael and Calum didn't really have much of a plan, they were just going to go for it. That seemed to always be their plan. Just going through life hoping it ends up okay.

Calum asked about the girl's day, knowing only Juli would talk.

That was their personalities. Juli was outgoing, always a bright smile on her face. She was excited to live, excited to be alive. She saw everything in color, everything with the sun shining.

Joey was quieter, always in deep thought. She was a lot like Calum, always staring off in the distance. Joey was always up for an adventure—much like Calum. Even if that 'adventure' was to the grocery store with Michael, she was always for it.

June was something special. She was really something special.

Calum coughing brought Michael out of his haze. "So, girls," the younger man said. This told Michael that it was time.

Mike put down the fork in his hand, looking over at his boyfriend.

"Michael and I were talking earlier in the week, and we wanted to run something by you three." Calum looked at Juli, Joey, then June. His eyes fell to Michael before he continued once more. "We were thinking that maybe Michael could move in here. He's here most of the time anyways, we love him here. Why not make it all the time?"

Calum's hand reached over to Michael's, entwining their fingers together. Cal wasn't much for PDA, especially in front of the kids. This meant something, but Michael didn't know what.

In one year, he's gone from having no one to—practically—three kids and a boyfriend. Michael didn't know how to act in front of kids, he didn't know what he was supposed to say or do.

"I thought he already lived with us," Juli said, twirling spaghetti around in her fork.

"True," Joey tagged along. She looked up, giving Michael a brace-face grin.