thirty five

thirty five

    Michael parked next to Calum's car in the elementary school parking lot, almost hitting Cal's car in the process.

    Michael still wasn't the best at parking.

    He hopped from his truck, meeting his husband by the sidewalk. Mike leant in, kissing his cheek. "Hi, how are you?"

    "I don't want to do this," he sighed, looking down at his feet.

    Both men were in their work clothes—a button down and slacks, their ties laying in the passenger seat of their individual cars.

    "We've gotta do it, though," Michael responded.

    June's teacher called a parent/teacher meeting. It was nice for Calum to finally not have to go to these nonsense meetings alone. It was nice that Michael was legally his three kid's parents, even though that's been on their emergency cards for the last eight months.

    Cal started walking towards the front doors, his hand entwined with Michael's. "What do you think they're going to say?"

    "I don't know, Babe. I'm sure it's gonna be something good, you know? She's a great kid."

    He shook his head, "They don't call parent/teacher meetings over anything good, Michael." Calum squeezed his palm before letting go, paging them into the front office.

    "Don't freak yourself out, it's gonna be fine." Michael walked behind him, smiling at the secretary he recognized.

    Calum signed both of them in, leaving the office without another word. Michael followed Calum down the hallways, he seemed to know the school so well. Cal had three kids go through this very elementary school, so maybe that's why.

    Michael was still getting used to the whole being-dad thing. He wanted to stay the cool dad, forever.

    June's teacher, an old lady named Ms. Bennings, was waiting for them. She had a happy cheerful smile, one that made Michael, too, smile.

    Calum, though, was more annoyed than anything.

    "How are you two this morning?" She asked as she sat them all down at a circular table.

    Cal and Mike barely fit in the small, plastic, colorful chairs. They made it work but it felt like aerobics.

    "We're doing alright," Michael answered, not letting grouchy Calum respond.

    "That's good, that's good," she said as she opened up a file. "So, June is a very smart, very intriguing girl." Ms. Bennings turned a packet for their eyes showing all her advanced test scores and literature levels. "I'm not concerned about that type of development."

    Calum turned his head towards Michael, his eyes begging Michael to just leave already. Cal didn't want sit through another meeting where they'd tell him his youngest had something off in her mind.

    Mike caught his eye, subtly shaking his head.

    "I'm sure you remember the last time we spoke, Mr. Hood," she said, her doe-like brown eyes looking at the annoyed man, "I was concerned about the emotional and social side of her."

    "She doesn't like talking to people, I didn't like talking to people."

    Michael placed his hand on Cal's thigh, getting him to shush up. "Do you think it's more than just being shy?" He asked, moving the papers back towards June's teacher.