Chapter 1

Lenell (Nell for short)

"Can someone please explain to me why these fellas play so many games?" Monique asked.

She shook her head, frowning as she opened Montell's Snapchat story. Her long black wavy weave twisted with her body, framing her round brown face. Monique rolled her eyes, showing us a video that Montell posted with two girls twerking on him at a party. We all shook our heads, sucking our teeth.

"Girl, I feel you," I said, getting up from the couch.

It seemed like every guy at this school was playing games. Either he was dating someone and acting brand new like he was single, pretending he wanted to be friends, but really wanting to sleep with you. Or the all-time favorite game they liked playing, barely talking to you but saying y'all "talking" cause he didn't want another brother to show their interest for you.

Out of my first two years in college, I hadn't met a single guy who proved me wrong. It had me wondering if this love thing was even real. My parents had a love for each other that I admired dearly and wanted in my own life. But it was hard out in these streets... I guess I had to wait on God to send that perfect guy, but in the meantime, I was going to work hard and secure my degree to go to medical school.

I pulled my backpack onto my back and grabbed my Bio textbook from the floor. We were chilling in Tasia's dorm room on a Saturday evening, but I had to study.

Tasia had a nice-sized dorm with a good bath area. Her roommate, Chelle, hardly stayed at their dorm because her parents lived close to campus; Tasia basically had the whole room to herself.

"I'm about to go study for this exam on Monday," I told the girls and headed for the door.

"Love you, Nell!"

"Love y'all too." I smiled hard. "Oh, and don't forget about that Alpha party coming up next week. You know we have to be there!"

One of the Alpha's, Kevin, invited me, and I wasn't going alone; the girls would accompany me.

"Girl, who are you kidding!" Simone clapped. She then stood up and started twerking. "I'm about to throw that ass in a circle. Especially since Kevin's showing you googly eyes."

All the girls laughed, and I giggled, rolling my eyes.

"Please, I'm sure I wasn't the only girl he invited." I sucked my teeth and folded my arms. "He just knows how to run game."

"Girl, whatever, he's cute," Tasia said, standing. "He can run game, walk game, hop game, and jog game. He can score with me any day if you don't want him."

We all busted out in an uproar of laughter. My friends played too much.

I said my goodbyes to the girls, then walked out of Tasia's dorm room with a deep sigh. I was about to be in the library for six hours studying all this mess for Monday. Taking a deep breath, I kept walking to the elevator.

"It'll all be worth it. It'll all be worth it," I whispered to myself.

I walked down to the dorm lobby when I saw a good-looking guy staring at me from the corner of my eyes. My body froze for a moment, taking him all in. He had light brown skin with temple faded curly black hair.

When I looked at him, he turned away with a swift turn smiling. I had never seen him before, but he was cute. I pushed the door open and headed over to the library just across the street from the dorm building, thinking about the cute stranger.

Y'all pray for me on this exam.

"That will be $4.50," I said, ringing up the guy's snacks.