Entry 7: My Birthday

Looking at the title you're probably expecting lots of my friends or classmates and family members to show up don't you?...

I was sitting alone during PE. I wasn't in the mood to go to anyone AT ALL today... It was my birthday. I am turning 16... No one would care anyway. It's just something they all find out a week later and don't say shit about anyway. "Dom, are you ok?" Invader asked while she walked over to me. I sighed and looked the other way, maybe she'll leave if I ignore her. "You look sad." She added. "Did Sam do something?"

I shook my head and she sat down next to me. "Then what is it?" She asked once again. "It's my birthday..." I told her while looking at her. "Isn't that supposed to be a good thing?" Invader questioned.

"I don't know what's a good thing and what isn't, all I know is I'm a year closer to death." I informed her while I looked at everyone else, who was at the field playing some soccer. "That's not a way to look at it as. Don't your parents do something about it?" She asked.

"My dad is a bitch, he doesn't care about me. He doesn't care if I even go to jail! But my mom..." I said while looking down at my feet. Then I took off my hat and looked at it. "Don't remind me of her..."

"Ok... I won't ask about it..." She replied while I sighed. The bell rang, which meant I had to go back home... Great, exactly what I wanted. "Well... Happy birthday." She said while I got up. When I did, she gave me a hug. I hugged her back without hesitation. I wasn't really one to freeze when things like this happened... "Thank you Invader." I said while she nodded. She rested her head on my shoulder and then I sighed, a good sigh not a bad one...

"EW DOM IS WITH INVADER?!" Sam asked as he walked over to me. I rolled my eyes in annoyance while pulling away from the hug. "What do you want, Sam?..." I said to him while he came over with Taurtis and Grian. "I heard it was your birthday, how old are you turning?" He asked while he smiled brightly, which sickened me. Why is he so gosh darn happy?... "16..." I told him while he nodded. "I'm turning 17 in a couple of months." Sam replied, so he's older than me... That doesn't matter, I can still kick is ass.

"You?... Almost 17?" I scoffed. "You act like you're 10..." He laughed and nodded. "Yeah it's who I am, right Yuki?" He said while I realized that she was with them too. I was too deep in hatred to notice her there... "That's right." She said while I looked at her smile. "How old are you, Invader?" Sam asked. "15." She replied to him. "So young..." Yuki said while she chuckled. "Oh yeah? Then how old are you?" Invader asked Yuki.

"15..." She replied while looking down. "Exactly." Invader said while she crossed her arms and smirked. "So, I'll see you later Dom, HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEWBIE." He said while he tossed a carrot in my face. "Oops, sorry, I have really sweaty palms and I meant to throw it at your waist..."

I didn't respond to him and instead threw the carrot somewhere else. "Well, I should go too, Dom. Happy birthday, see you tomorrow." She said while walking away. I sat down the sandbox and then sat a tiny hill of sand while looking at the trees. "Just two more years." I said to myself while I looked down at my shoes. "Just two more years..."

Later on I did go home... As expected though, no one was there...

I opened the door to my house. It was really quiet, so I looked inside the living room, hoping for a surprise party. I chuckled with excitement like a little kid while I was about to open the door. I closed my eyes and hand my hand on the fairly cool knob. I opened the door and when I did I opened my eyes while I had a huge grin. That was wiped away when I saw no one was here. My grin slowly turned into a frown.

It was the same old living room as it was this morning. I sighed in defeat, knowing I shouldn't have expected to have a party thrown for me. "I should never get my hopes up on this day... Nobody cares if it's my birthday either way..." I said while I threw my shoes at the wall, and then my backpack on the desk. I walked into the fridge and didn't see anything. No cake, no dessert, no nothing. I closed it and then looked at the cupboards.

Hoping to kind some kind of snacks. But all I found were Doritos. "Gross." I said while closing it. I checked everywhere to see if there was any party related type of foods. But as always, there wasn't. "Oh, you're here." My dad said as he walked into the kitchen, pouring himself some liquor. "Yeah..." I said quietly while going to the table. "Do you know what makes today so special?" I asked him.

He looked at me with confusion. "No... What is it?" He asked while he took a sip of liquor. "Nothing, never mind." I said while he walked away. As he walked back up the stairs I opened my backpack and got out 12000 yen. "This is pretty much 12 bucks..." I said while I got up and started heading to the store...

I went to the store and I bought myself a little cupcake and a single candle with a party hat and also a party horn for me to blow on while I blew out the candle. I was questioned what it was for by pete. I explained to him the whole situation, let me take it with no charge. He paid for it, he said it was a gift... That was the only time someone has cared so much about this day that they would spend their own money on a lousy kid like me...

When I arrived home I set down the cupcake at a table and put a candle on it so I could light it up. I put on my party hat and then sat down. "Well, doing this for another year..." I said while I looked at the cupcake. I shed a tear while I blew it out. 'I wish... To have one good friend, just one, who would stay by my side... And help me get trough tough times such as these... That's all I ask for... A good friend...' I thought while I had my eyes closed.

I opened them when I blew the candle and then got the party horn and blew into it. I set it back down while I told myself "Happy 16th birthday, Dom... May all your wishes come true..."