:Inject Me Sweetly: Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"But Emily!"

"Yes?"

Gesturing wildly with her hands, she tried to form a coherent response but failed. "You can't just date someone without liking them!" she finally burst, wide-eyed. "That's horrible!"

I smirked. "Just joking, Fiona."

It took a moment for my words to register. When they did, she narrowed her eyes at me. "Good one."

"I know," I replied, shrugging my shoulders in an off-handed way.

"Now I'm curious about it now. Why do you like Vivi? He is an arrogant jerk most of the time."

I cupped the back of my neck, trying to keep my embarrassment under control. "Er, well... He stayed up with me during all those thunderstorms. I guess that's what got me to start liking him. Oh, and he's cute when he's jealous. He does have his nice moments too. I... I don't feel like talking about it," I muttered, dropping my gaze to the floor.

She laughed again. "That's all I get?"

"You should return to the ballroom."

"Aw, come on! Don't ruin my fun!"

I shooed her with my hands. "Seriously. I don't want to get in trouble if Solomon looks up here and sees you."

"Oops!" she cried, her eyes flickering to the door where Solomon was standing. "I forgot he was there! You're right, I should probably go!"

"I'll see you soon!" I called after her as she disappeared through the door directly behind me. "Hopefully," I added under my breath after a second. It felt like these vampires would never stop coming in.

Suddenly there was a tension in the room. I froze, my eyes snapping to the front door, where Sebastian was standing on guard, drawn to his full height. Solomon was still retained a casual stance, but his face was completely serious. Heading through the door was a familiar silver-haired man.

Smoky grey eyes met my wide blue ones. In a flash Ashton was standing in front of me, his arm wrapping around my waist as I tumbled backward in shock, twisting my heel and almost falling over. Seconds later, Sebastian was by my side, holding onto my arm tightly. Since when were vampires so fast? None I knew ever moved that fast around me, aside from Sebastian now.

"Hello, Emily," Ashton greeted me with a handsome smile, completely ignoring Sebastian. "You look lovely tonight!"

"As do you," I returned confidently, swallowing my fears. I wouldn't let him gain the upper advantage. "I didn't expect you to show up."

His eyes flashed with amusement. "Did you now?"

"Yeah. Since you're here though, I hope you enjoy your night."

"Oh, I'll definitely enjoy the night," he responded, grinning wickedly. "Save a dance for me."

I forced a polite smile. "Of course."

"Good. See you around then," he said, retracting his arm from around my waist. "Sebastian, enjoy your last night as King."

He narrowed his eyes. "I wouldn't get too over your head. I won't be renouncing the throne, Ashton."

Ashton waved him off. "We'll see about that. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have pretty ladies to chat up." After giving me a wink, he disappeared from view.

"Good job, Em," Sebastian complimented, releasing my arm.

Wincing, I rubbed it. A bruise would definitely be forming there soon. "Good job with what?"

"Not showing your fear. You don't want him to know he's affected you. I hate to say it, but if he does request your hand to dance, please accept it."