twenty one

koyaanisqatsi (noun) - nature of balance; a way of life so unbalanced that you need a new way

"Therefore, the thesis of this introduction paragraph is stating that this sexual advertisement is belittling towards the race of women and is only furthering the ageless and controversial discussion of the social inequality between genders." I exhaled. "Thats only a small part, but was that good? I feel like it's not good. You look confused."

Aria pushed silky hair away from her lips. "No, it's good. It's great."

"Good and great are two different things."

"What? Oh, I meant great."

"You weren't paying attention." I scribbled purple revision notes in between the margins of my paper. "Thanks for the help, Ar."

"Sorry, I'm just distracted," my best friend shook her head and her phone vibrated.

I watched in the corner of my eye as she quickly reached for her phone, delight spread across her sweet face. I raised a curious eyebrow and went back to writing notes on my paper.

"Who's that?" I asked humbly. "Luke?"

"Oh, um. No. It's just Liam."

"Liam Payne?" My pen dropped from my fingers and my lips grew into a shocked O shape.

"Yes, ma'am."

I gasped excitedly and Aria blushed a deep pink. "Are you fucking serious? No way!"

Aria kept her dark eyes on her phone, her small thumbs quickly moving as she texted. "He's really cute and really sweet. But he has a girlfriend, and he loves her a lot, so I can't...I'm not, I didn't-"

"I never said you were doing anything."

"Good, because I'm not." Aria paused. "But he is cute, isn't he?"

We both bubbled into agreeing laughter. I giggled childishly and wrote some more revision notes in my paper.

"How's your sexily mysterious babe doing? Didn't you guys go on a date last night?" Aria asked.

I didn't bother looking up from my paper. "Ah, Harry's good. Yes, we went on a date last night."

"Where'd he take you?"

"I don't know," I closed my eyes, trying my best to remember every detail about last night. "It...um, it was some clearing on the side of the highway a few minutes out of NoHo. It was beautiful, very isolated, private. Lot of stars."

I remembered the way the stars danced in the warm night and the way the trees engulfed us in our own little world. I remembered the way the rainstorm interrupted our peaceful grilled cheese and beer dinner.

I opened my eyes and scratched out a grammatical error with my purple pen. "Yeah, it was great."

"That sounds...creepily romantic." She laughed and so did I.

"It was actually pretty cool."

"So, did you guys kiss?" Aria's phone vibrated, signaling another text from Liam.

I closed my eyes again, for I could remember better that way. I remembered running out of the apartment building and back into the unforgivingly cold rain, my feelings no longer under my own control.

I remember the way Harry cupped my face, so gently but also so dominantly. His lips pressing against mine, expertly knowing how to kiss me...

"Um," I scoffed under my breath, tapping the end of my pen against the paper. "Yeah, we did."