Chapter 6

The doctor walks into the little room I'm in, where I currently sit on a bed. He starts explaining what they've found and I'm sure that it may score me a few more days off school! More days to hang out with Tom!

"So the pain you are feeling is because you dislocated your rib when you fell. Nothing to major but we will need to pop that back into place for you" the doctor tells us.

"Now the pain in your jaw is from a fracture which is why you can't speak properly. I really don't think you need surgery, it's only a hairline fracture which will heal all by itself over time" he informs me.

"So I'm good to go?",I ask.

"Well we would like to keep you in just for observation" he replies.

My mum and the doctor go outside and talk in hushed voices so I can't hear. Then the nurse comes in to talk to me.

"Hi my names Cindy, how are you feeling?", she asks.

"Never been better" I say sarcastically my mouth hurting with every word.

"Ah humor, your my favorite patient already, but seriously just tell me if you need anything" she says kindly.

"Thanks".

"So it must've been a pretty big fall" she comments.

"Yeah".

"We are puzzled though"she says looking at me.

"Why?", I ask.

"Some of your injuries are definitely not from falling" Cindy replies seriously.

"I fell" I tell her. I don't yell but it still sounds harsh.

"Yes that's obvious too, but we found other injuries too".

I sigh and look away.

"Well I'm telling you the truth, I fell".

"Look I'm not supposed to tell you this but you do know we've had a few different doctors look at this case and they all agree...these injuries wasn't just all from a fall, someone had to have given you these injuries" she goes on and on.

"Well believe what you want" I say dryly.

"I'll be back later to check on you" she says clearly feeling defeated. And with that she leaves the room.

Mum comes back a little while later and sits down in the seat beside my bed. She sits in the silence, thinking. I can't tell this because she is staring at the bed with a serious, concerned look on her face. A few minutes later she pulls the chair over so it's facing me. She takes my hand and I look over at her.

"So I've been talking to the doctor" she begins but doesn't finish.

"And?" I prompt not knowing how much longer I can take the pain that comes with talking.

"Sweety what happened before the fall?", she asks getting start to the point.

Great now she too knows that my injuries weren't just all from falling. But I won't tell her. After all she doesn't know for sure.

"I was coming down from my room" I reply in a innocent voice.

"And before that?", She asks.

"I was talking to Clara" I roll my eyes.

"What happened?" She asks another question.

"We talked because you know what?! That's what people do!!" I almost yell now, so annoyed. My jaw aching so bad now.

My mum looks hurt by my attitude, hurt she can't figure this out. But most of all sad because she knows I'm hiding something and it hurts her to know I won't tell her or trust her. My mums like that. It hurts her when she knows I don't trust her. Especially when she has done nothing wrong to make me not trust her. She gets up silently and moves to the door.