Masks

"Alllexxxxxxxx" Jake called for his best friend as he picked up the phone.

"What?" Alex answered slightly annoyed, it was 2am on a Thursday and Alex needed to be up at 6am for school.

"There is a party tomorrow after school. Wanna go?"

"Sure, but why did you have to wake me up to tell me this?" The brunette was annoyed that his best friend didn't just wait till the morning to tell him.

"I didn't want to forget to ask you. It's some sophomores early birthday/ any excuse for a party, party. By the way everyone has to wear masks, I got you one so you don't have to worry.

"Why would a sophomore have a party that everyone has to wear masks to?" Alex asked confused.

"I don't know. She probably seen it in movies where she hooks up with a boy but has no idea who he is so she-" Jake was cut off.

"Okay I get it I don't need the hold story! Can I go back to sleep now?"

"Oh yeah goodnight!!" Alex hung up and placed his phone on the night stand rolling over to see if he could get back to sleep.

Alex woke to his alarm going off. He stopped it getting out of bed before he changed his mind. He hopped in the shower and started his morning routine. I wasn't long before he was dressed and out the door. He got his car and made his way to school hoping he wouldn't run into a group of people that made school hell for him.

Alex met Jake at the school gate, they always walked into school together because 2 against 4 was better than 1 against 4.

"So who's party even is it?" Alec questioned.

"Kirstie Maldonado's" Jake mumbled knowing Alex would freak out.

"Are you serious Jake!! I'm not going." Alex protested.

"Whyyy?? Come on it will be fun!"

"No Kirstin is Scott Hoying's cousin so he will definitely be there and I don't wanna get beat up today." Alex said sadly.

"It's a masked ball Alex! Everyone will be wearing mask he won't know it's you!!" Jake explained.

"Ugh why do you always do this?"

"Do what?"

"Come up with good reasons to say yes." Jake smiled and hugged his best friend.

"Yay! I'll see you at lunch." Jake said running to class. Alex made his way to class but he didn't rush.

"Well look who it is. Mr. Kinky" The tall blond say, apron hung Alex with 3 other people.

"Alex is fine, Scott" Alex mumbled sadly.

"Did you just talk back? You know one of these days you're gonna end up in hospital." Alex had had enough of Scott's threats.

"Why don't you do it then Scott?" Alex prompted.

"You know I can't touch you in school grounds after what happened last time." Alex rolled his eyes.

"So can you please excuse me and let me passed." Scott stepped to the side.

"Wait you're just gonna let him go?" One of Scott's 'friends' said.

"Yeah" Scott said looking at Alex as he walked away.

" Scott, man what is wrong with you? Why didn't you mess with him"

"He looked tired?" Scott said. He received chuckles from his gang and they shook there heads and left Scott standing there.

As Alex sat down at lunch and waited for jake, he went through this morning in his head. Scott had let him go. He didn't do anything. Not hurt him, not call him a fag, no steal anything, nothing. It was the first time all week that he had seen him and... Nothing.

"Hey!" Jake said as he sat down. "Are you okay?" He asked worried, he could tell something was wrong. He didn't think Alex was hurt physically.

"I'm confused" Alex admitted.

"About what?"

"I got stopped by Scott and his gang this morning after you left."

"They didn't hurt you did they?" Jake asked worried.

"No."

"What did they do then?"

"Nothing" the brunette stated.

"Nothing?"

"Yeah, nothing! That's why I'm confused. Scott said he couldn't hurt me on school grounds because of least time"

"That's never stopped him before."

"Exactly! And then when I did walk away I heard Justin ask why he like me go and Scott said because I looked tired! What is that supposed to mean?"

"Sounds like somebody pays a little too much attention to you for a straight boy." Jake chuckled.

"Wait you don't think...don't be so stupid this is Scott Hoying we are talking about!"Alex sighed it hurt him the most that the boy he had had a crush on since 6th grade hated him and hurt him.