Chapter 17 - I Kinda Bludgeoned a Non-existent Bro-Code

Comenzar desde el principio

Futhark turned to him. "Excuse me, caring for a friend is annoying?"

Without hesitation nor empathy, Joyeuse replied, "Yes." And as if he wasn't already insensitive in our eyes, he added, "But that is not why I'm annoyed."

I scoffed. "Oh, really? Then please tell me why you're annoyed because I bet the feeling is mutual, dude."

The attack did not reach Joyeuse. He said, "I'm annoyed because I am a problem-solver and Futhark refused to solve the problem."

Futhark threw his head back and spluttered in shock, "Ako pa talaga?! Ako nga ang nagsabi na puntahan natin si Edward tapos ako pa ang nag-refuse na i-solve ang problema?!"

"What will visiting Edward Dace do to solve his problem?"

I blinked. "Wow, dude. Buti ka pa, alam mo ang problema ko. Ikaw na ang matalino."

Joyeuse blinked back. "You are praising me but your tone is really sarcastic."

I stomped my foot. "I was being sarcastic! Why the hell would I praise you?!"

He didn't flinch. "Because I figured your problem out and I know how to solve it. Is that not worthy of praise? Lance said I have to be more sensitive to sentiments and here I am."

Futhark shook his head. "Dapat talaga iniwan na lang kita."

"Then how would Edward Dace know that the only way to overcome his fears and anxiety is to be a man and face this Luciano Lukas?"

Futhark frowned and said in a low voice, "Hindi 'yan madali para sa lahat ng tao. Not everyone is as strong and brave as you."

"No I think the words are "oblivious" and "obnoxious"," I corrected him.

Joyeuse stood his ground. I was surprised he didn't rebut to my insult, that was a good one. "Your problem started with Luciano."

I narrowed my eyes at him, drawling, "Eh, I'm pretty sure my problem started with you."

"No." Joyeuse was firm and certain. "You have an unresolved problem with Luciano Lukas and you're dragging the entire family into it."

"He's not my problem."

"See, we're not solving anything if you keep on lying."

"I don't even have a motherfucking clue who he is!" I turned to Futhark for sympathy. I was sure he'll understand. "I swear! All I know is that I don't like the name, the thought of him... He's a harbinger of nightmares and all these ugly feelings. And I don't understand why."

Both of them looked serious. Even Futhark's face was glum, despite his presence emanating warmth. "Hindi mo talaga kilala kung sino s'ya?"

I shook my head. "Hindi talaga."

Futhark took a deep breath before saying in his most compassionate and tender-hearted voice, "Sa kanila kayo nakatira dati ng mama mo. Katulong sa bahay ng mga Lukas ang mama mo, hanggang sa palayasin kayo."

I grimaced. Cold air ran down my spine. My ears felt numb and my stomach churned. I had to rub my arm to stop them from numbing too.

"Kanino... Kanino mo nalaman 'yan...?" I whispered, looking away.

"Kay Macey."

I didn't know what to feel. I was too busy biting the tip of my tongue to even think of a reply. I decided to shut the door close.

Oh.

27. August.
Friday, 9:00 am.
Coronado University Library.