Chapter Seventeen: What is Normal?

Start from the beginning

"I'LL FALL BUT I'LL GROW...I'M WALKING DOWN THIS ROAD OF MINE, THIS ROAD THAT I CALL HOME...SO AM I WRONG...FOR THINKING THAT WE COULD BE SOMETHING FOR REAL? NOW AM I WRONG...FOR TRYING TO REACH THE THINGS THAT I CAN'T SEE?" The sound of Jay's obnoxious voice rings from the front yard and I curse out loud.

"Damn it, Jay! It's five in the flipping morning!" I holler out from the backyard. I hear him bark out laughing still trying to continue the song.

"Relax. Let's hurry up so we can get going." She tells me and I purse my lips together and take my board to Jay's red Jeep.

So, here we are now, it's five-fifty in the morning outside Liam's house with Jay strapping Liam's surfboard on top of the car and Liam putting his bags in the car. This is for Bella. All of this is for Bella. Remember that, this is for Bella. I sigh and stare at Liam's jungle looking front yard, skinny trees that reach up to the roof of his house with vines connected from tree to tree and past all that is the beach. When everything is packed and strapped in Jay and Liam walk around the car to their seats. Jay kindly volunteered to drive there and I could not have been more relieved, the entire times Bella and I have gone to Hana were the times where I have almost faced death and having Jay, a much better driver than Bella, is a wish come true.

"Aloha." Liam greets as he slides in the back with me and before anyone has a chance to return his greeting Jay speeds out of the dirt driveway causing my back to lightly pound the seat and I glare at the driver's seat.

"Aloha, Liam." Bella replies cheerfully.

I turn my head slightly towards Liam, "Hi." I force a small smile on my face and then turn back to face the outside.

This is the deal, I promised Bella earlier that I would be on my best behavior and to try with Liam, and here I am putting on the effort. She also told me that this trip would calm me from everything in Lahaina, from the parties and the troubles, after all Hana is the most peaceful place here. Not wanting to argue with her, I agreed because truthfully maybe this is what I need. The only thing in my way I suppose is Liam, but like I said earlier before, this is for Bella and I promised her I would make the effort.

Before actually starting the trip, Jay drives into the local gas station to fill up the tank. I stare out the window thinking of how I'm going to survive this trip. How does Bella expect me to just get along with Liam? It's easier said than done.

"Want anything?" Bella asks while stepping out. I hum in response.

"I'm good, Bells." Liam tells her and I shift closer to the door.

"Alright. Come on, babe." Jay, with a pep in his step, walks over to Bella and slings his arm over her shoulder and head inside.

Well, shit. Now I'm alone with Liam and may I add the tension is thick. I try to stay as still as possible as I keep my head locked outside. After a few seconds, I begin to pray that Jay and Bella hurry back.

"Gaby," Liam's voice is soft and hesitant. Almost, I almost want to turn my head and look at him, but what happened at the reunion holds me back. "Gaby. Please." This is it. The apology I've been waiting for since the beginning. Slowly, I turn my head that is resting on my hand and peer up at him. I raise my eyebrows attentively and he quickly looks down at the seat, "I was a jerk. And, I shouldn't have treated you the way I did. It was unfair and out of line and I'm really sorry." He then glances up at me with a hopeful look. I stare at him with furrowed eyebrows, trying to make of what this apology is. Just forgive, forget, and move on. I purse my lips and begin to shake my head, caught between wanting to make him suffer and to just let it go.

Returning my gaze to his, "Yeah, you're a jerk." I tell him and the ends of his lips quirk up. "But...it's okay." Our eyes lock onto each other and there's relief written all over his face.