+ three

chapter three
***

the only sound at the dinner table was the sound of silverware clanking against glass as the three of them ate. of course, aera had quietly thanked miss im for the meal but jaebum said nothing.

jaebum ate slowly and without expressions, not once did the glare leave his face.

"jaebum, how are the boys? i miss their antics," miss im smiled.

"irritating," he said lowly, scooping more food into his mouth.

"they're your friends. best friends," miss im tried, wiping her hands with a napkin.

"mom, you know how i feel about the group," jaebum said quickly and bluntly before taking a long sip of his water.

miss im sighed and aera felt for her. she knew miss im was a kind woman who only wanted the best for people. especially, her son.

"i suppose we should discuss sleeping arrangements," miss im noted, setting her silverware aside and folding her hands on her lap.

jaebum and aera's eyes tore away from their food, waiting for miss im to begin speaking.

"aera, you and jaebum will be sharing a room."

aera choked on her soup and jaebum coughed breathlessly, water sputtering from his lips.

"what?" jaebum managed to gasp out.

aera wiped the soup from her face with a damp cloth.

"there are two rooms in this apartment, jaebum. would you prefer to room with me for the rest of your stay here?" miss im cocked her head to the side, knowing her son would decline the suggestion without hesitation.

"mom, what if she's a crazy fan?" jaebum asked helplessly.

"please, jaebum. she has no idea who you are," miss im rolled her eyes. "now take your bags to the room on the far left of the apartment, i need to talk to aera."

jaebum got up and pushed his chair in aggressively, grabbing his bags and stomping away.

"mom, is there a reason that you're making him share a room with me?" aera asked nervously.

"i want my kids to be close, aera. take good care of him. please?"

aera nodded hesitantly, getting up to take her and jaebum's dishes to the kitchen to wash them but miss im grabbed her wrist.

"i'll take care of it," she smiled, pointing aera towards her bedroom.

aera took slow steps to her room, scared to face jaebum in such a confined space. the door was cracked and aera pushed it lightly, sliding into the room through the gap.

jaebum sat on the ground facing the wall, his head in his hands.

"hi," baek aera greeted, barely above a whisper.

jaebum didn't move. aera swallowed anxiously before continuing.

"which side would you like to sleep on?" she asked, referring to the three twin sized mattresses pushed together on the ground, taking up most of the small room.

"the side that the sun doesn't touch," he said blankly, not looking up.

aera placed a pillow and a blanket on the side against the wall, where the sunlight couldn't quite reach.

"goodnight jaebum, sorry."