Chapter Thirteen : Coming Out

Travis McCloud

      I woke up in my own bed. It had been so long since I could actually do that, I wouldn't mind just staying here all day. I turned over and lay on my stomach. My chin mashed into my pillow as my face was locked on my phone.

     I scrolled down my twitter feed watching Shawn go on a rant about his 'new brother' as the smell of breakfast in the morning began to persuade me out of my bed.

I got up slowly but surely, silently telling my bed I'd be back shortly since I didn't plan on eating downstairs, but rather in my bed.

      I walked down the wooden steps recklessly , not caring if anyone knew I was up or not.

It had been a week since we got home and fall break had started. I stayed in the house mostly because without Bj, I really have no friends. And I dont like to bother Shawn so there's that. But there's no point in complaining if I'm not going to do anything about it.

            I plopped down on the couch next to my brother, Isaiah as a suprised look came over his face.

        "Ma!" He yelled, irritating me already, "Look who's risen from the dead."

You could see the steam from the fresh sausage rising.

   My phone glowed, randomly from a text notification from Kayla.
.

Kay : We're going to the mall. Be ready 😈

     I love how I have no say at all.

       "It's about time!" She said walking in the living room with her breakfast, turning on Maury. It was a Saturday ritual for our household and if Maury wasn't on, it was Judge Judy or Joe Mathis. She loved those old people shows.
.

   "I already made your plate. It's in the microwave. "

     After getting my plate and coming back to the living room, I took my seat next to my brother again.  

        In the case of three year old Jaceon Carter , William, you are not the father. 

The crowd cheered as my mother threw in her two cents, "I knew it," my mother shouted, obviously too into the TV, "That baby had his nose and all."

          Once Maury went on commercial, Ma and I waited for Isaiah to get up to take his plates to the sink so we wouldn't have to take ours. He huffed with an attitude but did it anyway.

       "So what you got planned for the day Mr.?" She asked.

I looked at my phone, remembering what Kayla had texted me, "I guess I'm going to the mall."

-

      "Remember when I slapped you in this very mall. " Kayla said taking a sip of her fruit punch as we walked around the food court of the mall.

    What killed me was that she said it like it was years ago that she slapped me, when it actually was just a few months ago. I can still feel the heat coming from red mark she left on my face that day.  The day I told her I cheated on Shawn. The first and last time I'll ever do it.