Six

D A N

-

The bruises on my face stung. I didn't want to go to school, but if I didn't I'd have to deal with my dad more. Tears fell down my face as I walked to school. I didn't want anyone seeing me like this. I was weak.

When I got to school, I pushed past everyone and went to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror.

There were bruises on my face. My lip was slightly purple, and bleeding a bit. I was a wreck. 

My dad did this.

I shouldn't even call him my dad, really. He doesn't deserve that title. I groaned burying my face into my hands. This is great. Just great. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Even before I turned around, I knew who it was. That gentle touch belonged to Phil.

My broken eyes met his dull eyes. His eyes were different. They weren't their usual colour. It was like someone sucked the life out of him.

"Dan, what happened? Did someone hurt you? Dan, oh my god," He traced my lips. My face went red, and when he touched the swollen bit, I winced.

He pulled his arm back, a worried expression on his face. "I'm sorry. What happened. Do you want to talk about it?"

I shook my head. "Okay. How about we skip class? I mean, I don't think you'd want to go into class wit bruises on your face."

We waited until the bell rung, and made our way outside. We sat underneath the same tree we sat at the first day we met. 

"One of the boys and his friends," Phil started, his voice weak, "They came over to me. First, they started telling me about how bad you are. I defended you, and then they started bad mouthing me. They started, hitting my chest. Kicked my chest. They left soon. But, no one came to help. And you wren't there."

I looked over at Phil. I had never seen him cry properly. Sure, when he was reading The Fault In Our Stars he cried, but I had never seen him cry like this.

"I know its a stupid thing to cry about," He laughed, but it sounded more like a sob, "But how can all those people hate you so much? Why do they hate anyone that likes you? You did nothing to deserve being hated! I know I'm being stupid, but I just don't know!"

He started sobbing. I wrapped my arms around him, and I felt his arms wrap around me.

It'll be alright, I wish I could say.

Phil pulled away, and so did I, "Thank you." He smiled weakly. I put my hand on his cheek, and his cheeks went pink.

Phil, you'll be alright. I'll always be here for you, I said in my mind.

I then pulled my hand away from his face, smiling slightly. I took my phone out.

Phil, I want to try and speak. Can you help me?

"Of course I will Dan. You won't get it the first time, but I'll help you to keep trying."

I nodded. I wanted it so badly. I wanted to tell Phil what he meant to me. How much he meant to me. I wanted to thank him.

I moved my lips, attempting to make a sound, or a word. All I got was a scratchy sound coming from throat. 

I kept trying, and trying, and trying. It didn't work.

"Dan, Dan stop. You're going to hurt your throat," He put his hand on my shoulder, which seemed to calm me, "Take it nice and easy, okay?"

I nodded. I tried for a while, until giving up and stopping.

Phil chuckled, "We'll try tomorrow, okay?" I nodded, smiling.

It felt as if I had known Phil for years. I felt so comfortable around him. He made me feel safe, and protected. 

In the back of my head, I kept saying I was in love with him. I'm not gay, I would think. But I knew deep down, I was, and was just scared to admit it.

Phil and I sat under the tree for most of the day. It wasn't boring, especially when Phil was acting like a nerd. Dancing around, running, rolling in the grass. I, of course, joined him.

Phil made everything seem fun, and happy. He had such an amazing effect on things. He made sparkle, and made everything more colourful. 

We were on the ground, laughing. "We're such dorks," He giggled.

I nodded in agreement, smiling.

His giggle was so cute. It made me grin. That nerd always made me smile, even when I didn't want to.

-

OOPS I KNOW CRAPPY ENDING

THAT ART IS MINE WOWOWOWOWOW

WOW

W O W

I WAS LISTENING TO DONT WAIT OMG IM SO OBSESSED WITH JOEY AND TROYE AND BRENDON AND MELANIE

BECAUSE TONIGHT WE ARE VICTORIOUS

BUT WHAT IF WE RUN AWAY

SO DON WAIT

SHOOT IM A NERD DONT SUE ME

ILY BYE <3