The Red Brick Tower

One afternoon she took a walk into the woods, something that became a tradition since leaving her forgotten tower.
Without realizing it, she veered away from her usual path and came across the tall old building once more.
It had been years, long and healing years.
She looked upon it with sadness at first, crying as she walked circles around the red bricks that felt like a prison.
She felt a hint of anger, but soon was stopped by a new awareness. Because of her willingness to leave the fortification, the building was no longer a burden. All those people that she came across in her life had mended her heart. Those wounds where now stiches and scars, they had been accepted and tolerated.
She looked up at the balcony where she remembered spending her days gazing at the beauty she did not appreciate, and smiled. She smiled and laughed and cried, all in amazement and love.
Freedom. That is what she finally thought after all of those years. Although she possessed it the second she escaped that tower, she realized only then that she actually had it.
Freedom.
Adeline stayed there and spent the afternoon lying down on the grass beside the blooming white and yellow flowers. The birds gave her songs, as she finally heard them with a listening ear. She whistled, just like she had done many times on the balcony above her, but this time more precisely, more clearly.
As if the universe had heard her melancholy melody, she heard a familiar voice materialize from the trees.
"Miss?"
Although it was deeper, she recognized the sound.
She stood up to see who was there, putting up her hand to stop the sun from blinding her.
There stood a tall young man, handsome with full pink lips and a sharp jaw. His chestnut brown hair brushed back and his crystal eyes pierced even the air.
Adeline almost fell backward at this. He looked familiar, sounded familiar, and yet could not place him.
But then her eyes widened at the realization of who he was.

****
Just one more part until the ending of this short story! Thank you to all who read and enjoyed!