The Red Brick Tower

The nearest village was filled with the poor, the busy, and the bright. Young and vibrant became the ambiance-a genuine blue day. She could see the sun and the sky through the clouds.
Adeline decided she would settle there. She got a job at a bakery that an old man own, and by befriending him, the man passed down the store to Adeline when he was dying.
"You are the only daughter I ever needed," he said before his passing.
When the old man drifted off with a smile, she could not help tears of happiness-of a bittersweet ending-from flowing down her face like the streams on a rainy afternoon.
She also could not help but think of all those terrible times from her past. They all happened so she could be there, beside that man in that very moment in time. It all encompassed a deeper meaning and fate in which she could barely comprehend. He loved her, inevitably and completely. He never questioned her-short hair and all-but embraced her fully with his scarred hands trying to mend her wounded heart.
Adeline met a young woman a few years later, named Julianne. Julianne's husband was beating her and her children, and so Adeline took it upon herself to go straight to their house and snap the sense into the husband. For some reason Adeline had the magic touch, words that felt like a thousand punches to sensitive spots within his soul. After that, he never touched his wife and children, instead he consumed himself in drink, and one night he never came home. Julianne met another man, one that treated her with kindness and was forever grateful to Adeline for rescuing her family. After this occurred many other women came to her for help, and she willingly lent her magical hand to all of them.
Adeline lived happily, with no one having to care for her. She wanted to provide for herself, never wanted a husband, despite the many suitors that tried fighting for her affection.
However, a few more years later, Adeline became lonely and sad. Though her kind deeds and open heart attracted many, she still felt the void overtake her.