Chapter 01

It was always something normal for me to not have a hobby. People said that it makes life a lot duller, but what I do to provide for myself gave me enough thrills as it is. Even then, as I was browsing through the internet for games that I might be able to play on my personal computer, I stumbled onto a game that was so ridiculously high on the ranks that I couldn't help but to give the description a read through. My eyes scanned through the game's title, and read through the details.

"Castle of the seven kings... huh?"

There are several reasons why people rated this game so highly. This game gives a lot of freedom, probably excessive freedom, to the players. Making NPCs is not exactly rare there, and the towns that appears in the game was not something made by the developers, except for the very first town you spawned in when you begin the game.

This game might be fun.

I grabbed my wallet and keys, and went to the garage. The car has been sitting there for months ever since I bought it, and I think it's time I put it to good use. Even though the car was never used before, as I slid and turn the key, the car roared nicely and was ready to be used. The garage opens as I pushed the dust covered button beside the garage door, and I hopped back in and drove away.

It was not that hard finding exactly what I needed. Literally every electronic store has VRM, or Virtual Reality Maker, stocked. A fifteen minutes drive was all it took for me to find the nearest electronic store, and another ten to go to the game store and pick up the game. I was lucky to get a discount on the VRM, and the game wasn't as expensive as I first thought.

"The timing was perfect. A sale on the day I wanted to buy one."

The VRM is definitely not a luxury item, but it does cost quite a lot of money. There are two boxes in my shopping back, and one of is bigger than the other. I drove back to my house, and went to my room on the second floor. I took out the boxes and opened the bigger one first. Inside was a large piece of Styrofoam that covers the device inside. I took out the Styrofoam, and revealed a jet black helmet inside it. I carefully picked up the device, and put it on my head. I shifted it around a couple of times to make it more comfortable on my head.

"Okay..."

The VRM fits my head perfectly, and I nodded to myself before taking it off and putting it on top of my bed. I opened the smaller box and inside of it was another box with the game chip, a poster of the game, and a manual.

"Well aren't they considerate."

I skimmed through the manual, reading through only the most basic information before throwing it to the side.

"Okay, I think I got it."

I pushed a button on the top of the helmet, and a small section on the back of the helmet slid to the side, revealing a slot just big enough for the chip. I inserted the chip into the VRM, and the button on top blinked three times, before being constantly on a faint blue color. As the game installs itself into the VRM, I picked up the manual again, and gave it a more thorough read.

"I know that they say freedom for the players but..."

There's no defining means to judge a player's strength, because there's no levels. Instead, the players gain mastery points that will help them boost their status.

"Direct kill and stealth kill mastery?"

Well this is a first one for me. Stealth kill in a game like this? Interesting. I skimmed through the more boring parts of the manual. The VRM lets out a long beep just as I closed the book.