Thirty-Eight

"How did it go?" Aurore looked up from the jewelry box she was inspecting when Dale entered her office and plopped himself down on the sofa. The security guards had orders to let him pass, but they missed announcing his arrival. They were obviously slacking.

"It worked." Dale ran a hand over his face. He needed a shave.

"But...?"

He stared at the floor for a second, seemingly putting his thoughts in order. "It's too big, too loud ... It draws too much attention. I don't know what act they can use to distract the audience long enough to make him disappear. I don't know if they can." He paused. "I don't like the odds."

Aurore's bare fingers twitched on the table. Was he serious? Had he really come to complain? "Luckily for me, my whole purpose in life is not to make you happy."

"No, of course not." He leaned forward, his elbows propped on his knees, and tilted his head as he looked at her.

She blinked. "Then why are you here?"

"I was just getting to it. It's time for you to tell me what you want from the vault."

Ah, that. It was a reasonable request. "Don't worry about that. I'll be there to take the items myself."

"That's out of the question. What was supposed to be a two-man job has turned into a circus parade already. There's no room for you there. Let the professionals do it."

Aurore arched an eyebrow. "The circus crew are professionals when it comes to burglary now?"

"No, but I'm stuck with them because of you." Dale pointed at her. "I don't need any more amateurs involved. I'll get your items, but in order to take them out of the Hrad, I need more info about them ... or are they small enough to carry them without being noticed?"

"Well, no..."

"Okay, tell me the metrics then."

Aurore hesitated. She didn't want to tell him all of the details in advance. He'd think she was insane. But he had a point. Getting them out could be tricky. "There are four items, two of a kind, so there could be either two or four boxes. I don't know how they're packed."

"Size?"

"About one meter long, forty centimeters wide."

"Weight?"

"Including the storage equipment, under fifty kilos total."

"Are they fragile?"

"Yes, but the cases should provide protection against impact."

"Is there anything inside that might trigger an alarm?"

"No, nothing like that."

Dale nodded, his face void of expression. It was impossible to guess what he thought. "And, lastly, who will be coming after me if I steal them?"

"That's the best part. No one." Aurore smiled. "Those items belong to me."

"Then why are they in the vault, and why are you stealing them?"

"Someone put them in there for me a long time ago."

"Your uncle could get them for you," Dale said. "He pretty much runs the whole town."

"He could ... if he wanted to." Aurore paused.

"Ah. But why wouldn't he—" Dale raised both hands. "I know. Not my business."

"Right." Aurore nodded, pleased he understood. "Anything else?"

"Are you sure they're in there?"

"Yes. It's been confirmed from two reliable sources who have no interest in lying to me."

"Okay. How will I recognize the boxes? I assume there are quite a few things stored in there, and I don't suppose they have your name written on them."

"I wouldn't be surprised if they did actually." Aurore gave him an amused smile. "But I'll spare you the trouble of searching for them and tell you exactly what to look for when we get there."

"Am I supposed to be your escort again?" Dale made no effort to suppress a sigh.

"Do you have a better explanation for your presence at the Hrad?"

"I thought the museum would be open for everyone that night."

"Oh yes, and you've been such a tourist since coming into town."

"Maybe I like the circus. I've been seen roaming around the premises lately."

"Maybe you have a crush on one of the girls." Aurore pursed her lips in a teasing smirk.

"Maybe I do." A faint grin relaxed Dale's features. "Speaking of girls, do you know where I can find Rosie? She hasn't stopped by the loft today, and she's not in the square."

"Rosie? Why?" She narrowed her eyes at him, reluctant to get the little girl involved in whatever he was planning.

"I have a job for her. There's a little guy who'd enjoy some playtime with her, and they'd make a great distraction at the Hrad."

"More than the circus acts?"

"After the show."

"Hmm. Is it safe? I don't want to put her in danger."

"Rake and Spinner claimed so. Of course, it will only work if you can get her cleaned up and convince her not to bite people for one evening."

"Rosie doesn't bite people!"

Dale's fleeting smile returned. "Right. But she needs to pretend to have better social skills at least. We won't get anywhere if people are afraid to approach her."

"That can be arranged," Aurore said. "She can be very versatile when she wants to be. It depends on what you offer her in return."

"A night full of bliss and laughter." Dale got up.

Full of suspicion, Aurore watched him, not sure how he was going to achieve that. "I'll talk to her."

"Tell her it involves the menzataxor."

"What's that?"

"She'll know." He started for the door.

Aurore frowned at his back. The situation was getting out of hand, and she hated that.