Three

"Just a moment," Aurore said, calmly finishing adding up the long column of numbers before looking at the man standing in the doorway.

Tall, dark, and handsome, for those who liked the roguish type, but the short black hair and cold, gray eyes made no impression on her. She paid more attention to the set of his jaw and the way he carried himself when he advanced into the office. Strong physique, though too light for a bouncer. This was a man who knew what he wanted and was used to getting it.

He didn't avoid eye contact while he crossed the room and continued to hold her gaze after stopping in front of her desk. He was a little too close for comfort, but he'd been searched before being allowed to come upstairs, so she didn't fear him. Besides, no one dared attack the Golden Lady.

Satisfied with her assessment, Aurore put down the stylus and leaned back in her chair. A pair of lacy gloves rested on the corner of the desk, but she didn't bother putting them on. She wouldn't hide in her own home. If he dared to barge in here, he better put up with the sight of her hands, too.

"Little Rosie told me you have something for me...," she said, pausing to give him another up and down look. Scruffy, old but good boots, a jacket that had seen better days ... not flashy, but all good quality clothes. He was not from around here. Not a low-life, small-time scum, either. A hint of worry around the eyes combined with determined lines at the corners of his mouth. Ah. The man was desperate. "Or, more exactly, what can I do for you, Mr. ...?"

"Dale Armstrong," the man said. "I need access to your technician."

He had guts, Aurore had to grant him that. If that was what he needed, no wonder her golden hands didn't bother him.

"You can't afford my technician," she said. He didn't argue. "Since you know that already, why come to me?"

"You own all the jewelry stores in the city," Dale said.

Aurore nodded. "That's common knowledge."

"You also own all the pawn shops."

She didn't advertize that part of her business, but most people knew it anyway. "So?" Throwing her business into her face was not the right way to win her cooperation.

"You're the only one who's part of both worlds. One way or the other, you're most likely to find me what I need."

Sound reasoning, but it didn't explain how he planned to pay for it. Aurore brought her hands together and tapped her fingers on her chin. The artificial skin that covered her prosthetics was warm and soft to the touch. "What is it that you need exactly?"

"A good and trustworthy technician."

"A good technician is hard to find these days," Aurore said. "There aren't many left."

"That's why I came to you. I don't want a hack. I want a good one."

"It doesn't matter what you want. Besides, mine has gone to Vienna and won't return before the end of November. Come back then, and maybe we'll talk."

"I can't wait that long."

She straightened her back, ready to stand up to him and the anger boiling below the carefully constructed, calm appearance. The tension in his eyes gave it away. Had someone wronged him? "Funny, you don't strike me as someone who wears prosthetics."

"It's not for me."

"Ah...."

She waited for him to continue, but he didn't volunteer more information, and she didn't particularly care to listen. It was time to send the visitor on his way.

"Regardless—" Aurore got up and walked around the desk so he could see her golden knees peeking from between the hem of her white skirt and the top of her beige, deer leather boots, "—you will have to wait. I don't have anyone else waiting in the wings for a job like yours to show up."

"You don't know what my job is," Dale said between gritted teeth. In two steps, he had a blade pressed against her throat. "My friend has burned his arms. I have only two weeks, and I need him to be able to use his hands by then. So think hard."

This wasn't good. The security downstairs was obviously slacking. She'd have to do something about that. Instead of panicking, Aurore held up her right hand. It was perfect, all except for the golden glow. "Do I look like I care?"

It took him a couple seconds for the words to sink in. "Well, there goes my leverage," he said, releasing her.

"There wasn't much leverage to begin with," Aurore said, resisting the urge to check her neck. He acted too much like a professional to have nicked her.

Dale shrugged with a rueful smile. "So, are you going to set your goons on me?"

"Yes, sorry. I have a reputation to protect." She reached for a button on her desk. "What happens in two weeks?"

"Sorry?"

"Don't play dumb with me. I can get my 'goons' to make you spill it." Her hand froze on the button. "You're not from here, and you need a pair of working hands by a certain date. What happens in two weeks?" Aurore's hand hovered above the button, next to an ad for the museum open night and a Nightingale Circus flyer.

Dale's eyes briefly stopped on the two flyers.

"You want to enter the Hrad?" The open night was scheduled in two weeks, which meant access to the Bratislava Castle would also be free. "That's a bold move. Why didn't you say so?"

"So you can send me to a hack technician? If it works, fine. If it doesn't, fine," Dale said. "You're the mayor's protégé, but even you wouldn't get away with it if I got caught. There's a fortune stored inside the Hrad. That's how I was planning to pay you. You're into jewelry. There must be something you'd want in there."

He didn't know even half of it. There was something she wanted badly, but it wasn't jewels.

"Well, in that case..." Aurore hesitated, her eyes scanning the desk. "I know someone who might be able to help. He doesn't only do maintenance. He builds things from scratch. Of course, it depends on how badly your friend is injured and if you can keep him out of harm's way long enough..." Catching a glimpse of the surprised look that flashed over Dale's face, she smiled. "Do you think I don't know what's happening in my city, right across the street from me?" Shaking her head, she picked up the flyer and handed it over. "Ask for Big Dino." From a drawer, she pulled out a business card with gold engraving, handing that over, as well. "Tell him I sent you. Do not tell him how you plan to pay for his work, just say I guarantee you."

Dale slipped the two pieces of paper in his pocket and started for the door. In the doorway, he turned. "Why did you change your mind?"

"We haven't had any excitement in this town in way too long. But it will cost you..."