Chapter 24

Memories are always special. Sometimes we laugh by remembering the days we cried. And we cry by remembering the days we laughed. Such is life
-Anurag Prakash Ray
________________________________________________________________

"There you are" Afra hurried towards us relief evident in her face. "I thought you wouldn't make it. What took you so long boarding will start any minute" she looked like she was about to cry.

"I'm sorry. I forgot something so we had to go back" I explained holding her arm to calm her down.

Her brother held her hand and together they walked towards where the rest of the family was standing. Only Adil was missing as he had gone back to boarding school last weekend. I greeted my parents in law and held Abu's hand before I spoke to Ahmad. He was going back for the last year of his Master's degree. In about Nine months he'd be done. I looked at how Afra was panicking knowing it was almost time to go. Considering the fact that she wouldn't be alone and had her brother with her; only God knows what'll happen when Ahmad is through. I don't think she'd be able to go back.

We stood in the middle of the airport talking when the voice came through the intercom announcing that the flight from Abuja to Lagos was boarding. From Lagos they'd head straight to Edinburgh. Afra went on to hug her mother tightly and both of them began crying. I felt the need to cry to but held myself. She then hugged her father while Ahmad walked over to his mother. It reminded me of the first day I met them months ago. When Afra walked to me and we hugged; Ahmad and Akram shook hands beside us and I smiled at him.

I held out the bag I was holding that contained the wrapped gift I had gotten her. "Open it when you get back to school" it was a framed picture of just the two of us during my dinner ceremony and I hoped it was a sufficient enough gift because it was really special to me.

"Okay" she nodded and then lastly hugged Akram. She began crying again over his shoulder. He pulled out to look at her "Why are you crying? Even Adil didn't cry when we dropped him off at school. Don't cry" he wiped her face. She hugged him again as another announcement was made.

"You two should get going" Daddy spoke interrupting the brother sister show of affection.

"Let's go" Ahmad tapped Afra on the shoulder as she stood between Akram and I wiping her tears. She nodded and hugged her mother and father again briefly while Ahmad picked both their luggage. We stood back as they walked away Ahmad was saying something to Afra; no doubt trying to get her to calm down. They both looked back and we waved. Ahmad smiled back while Afra waved and then she reluctantly walked ahead and disappeared down the corridor.

Maama was clearly upset as she got into the car and the three of them left.

"I'm going to miss her a lot" I admitted to Akram as he pulled the car out of the spot in the airport.

"I know. But she'll miss you more. She always wanted a sister" he smiled his eyes on the road, "She told me last week..." he grinned, "That she would never like Ahmad and Adil's wives"

"Why?" I asked confused

"Because they would never be able to match up to you" he laughed

I shook my head at her. We had waited for the plane to take off before we left and they were well on their way now. She promised to call once they were in Lagos before they boarded the flight to Edinburgh.

XXX

"Your brother's back" I said to Abu as I heard the car horn outside. He dropped the game controller and went to outside to meet him. Abu had come yesterday for the weekend. Two minutes later the two of them came in with Abu struggling with the white bag containing yogurt in it.