Chapter 7

Knowing when to walk away is wisdom. Being able to is courage. Walking away with grace and your head held high is dignity.        -Ritu Ghatourey
-----------------------------------------------------

I walk to the door and open it in response to the knock that came a minute ago.

"Good morning!" Catherine chirped excitedly.

"Good morning" I answered

"My night shift is over and I was just leaving" she stood in front of me. I noticed she was just about two inches taller than me. "I came to say bye"

I nodded. "Bye" I slowly extended my hand for her to shake

"Don't be silly" she scoffed hitting my hand in the process of pulling me in for a hug. "I'll miss you" she said. Something broke inside of me and I began crying at that moment.

She pulled out, "What's wrong?"

I shook my head and quickly wiped my tears. "Nothing. Thank you for everything" I managed a smile. She hugged me again before hurrying out the door. Before I sat down; another knock came on the door. Catherine must have forgotten something in her hurry so I quickly opened the door only to find the man from the other day standing there.

"Good morning" he greets and I nod curtly

"Are you ready? The session starts soon"

I nodded and went back into the room to get my phone. Though it was unnecessary really. It's not like my phone was buzzing nonstop with worried family and friends.

The room was quite big and airy. There were about twelve seats arranged in a wide circle and remembering the man was standing quietly behind me waiting for me to move away, I quickly did so.

"You can sit anywhere you want" came his silvery voice. "I'll meet you after with the papers"

I nodded and went for a random chair which later when the Dr came in and everyone was settled turned out to be right next to the man.

XXX

"Hello?" I said into the phone my surprise obvious in my tone. It was Nasir's call.

"When are you being discharged?" he asked curtly

"Now" I answered.

"I'll be there in two minutes. Wait in the parking lot" and with that he ended the call. I walked towards the man who was waiting for me outside the hall. I could spot white rolled up papers in his hand and as I reached him he held them out to me.

"Thank you" I said and made to walk past him. I hurried towards the wards to get my bag with my belongings that were already ready. I picked the bag, locked he room and handed over my keys at the reception before walking outside to wait for Nasir.

I waited

And I waited

And I waited

And then I heard someone clear their voice from behind me so I turned only to find my companion from earlier today. I looked at him expectantly and he cleared his throat nervously before he spoke "I'm really sorry about yesterday"

I turned back, "You don't need to apologize to me"

"I was rude. And I'm sorry".  His sincere tone surprised me making me turn to face him once again.

At loss for words; I just nodded.

"You've been standing in the sun for a while. Why don't you come back into the reception?"

"I'm good here"

"You are just recovering though; I don't think standing here is what your doctor would advise"

"I'm good" I insisted

"Then why don't you come get a cold drink from the canteen over there. Rehydrate yourself"

"Fine" I said and let him lead the way to the canteen. I bought a bottle of fruit juice and followed suit when he sat on a chair under the hut.

"So how old was your son?" he asked suddenly but his tone didn't let me take offense. So I simply answered him

"He was almost five"

"What was his name?"

"Muhammad. We called him Amir"

"I'm sorry for your loss"

I nodded in response then my phone rang. "Hello?"

"I'm here" Nasir said rudely and ended the call

I stood up and gathered my things to leave. He stood up too, "Is everything okay?"

"I'm leaving" I answered.

He reached for my luggage, "I'll walk you to the car"

I muttered a thanks and led him to where I spotted Nasir's car. He opened the trunk and swiftly kept the bag inside and moved past me to open the passenger door for me. I got in; "Thank you..."

"Akram"

I nodded and he closed the door, waved shortly and strode back into the hospital. I reluctantly looked at Nasir knowing already what was coming.

"I told you to wait outside for me!"

"I just stepped away to get..."

"I told you to stand there!"

"You left me waiting for 30 minutes!" I yelled

Nasir stared at me in shock because he had no reply for that.

It was a long ride back to the house.

XXX

"Assalamu Alaikum"

I walked out of the kitchen into the living room to meet the two familiar voices that had greeted in sync.

"Wa'alaikumus Salam" I greeted my mother and sister back "Good evening, what are you doing here?" I asked straight to the point. My bad mood wouldn't let me even try to be nice.

"I could be asking you the same thing. Nasir called and asked us to come over" and before I could reply another greeting came from the door and I looked to find my uncle. "And he insisted we come with your uncle" my mother informed.

I shrugged and walked into the sitting room to sit down. My guests did the same thing and just on cue Nasir joined us in the living room. I watched him and my family exchange greetings not that the atmosphere was warm and welcoming. But then again it was Nasir.

"So, what are we doing here?" my uncle asked

"Give me a minute. I'm expecting some more guests"

Within a span of ten minutes; I silently watched as my father-in-law and mother-in-law walked into the living room to join us.

"Nasir will you tell us what we are doing here?" his father asked

"Yes, just now" Nasir stood up and walked to the centre of the room while everyone including me stared at him. He locked his gaze with mine before saying; "Maheen Abullah, in the presence of the following people as my witnesses, I divorce you. And if you want it written; you can have it"

A chorus of what-s passed around the room but I ignored them and shrugged; "No, I'm fine" with that I stood up and walked upstairs.

Both mine and Nasir's family tried a lot to get us back together during that waiting period. But they were neither getting to me nor Nasir. I was almost out of that hellhole and I wasn't going to plunge myself deeper. The only thing that held me back was no more, so I had no reason to stay.

On my final day; I packed up and left without a second thought. My mother wasn't exactly happy with me moving back but she couldn't throw me out. Well not literally. She did taunt me with words every day though. And in return; every day I made it clear to her; whatever it was, I wasn't going back.