Chapter 9

Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be. Because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.

___________________________________________________________________

"Sit" Maama instructed.

"It's okay" I shook my head, "I'm going to check on Abu. We'll have breakfast together"

"Today is Saturday, Abubakar is still asleep. Sit" she said. I reluctantly sat on the chair opposite her. Maama wouldn't stop trying to involve me in all of the family affairs. I appreciated the gesture. But now that her son was around; I couldn't just go about freely stamping over the place. There were limits. And I intended to stay within them.

"Good morning Maama"

Suddenly I was interested in the content of my mug. I continued to stare down at my strawberry tea as Akram pulled a seat next to his mother; diagonally opposite me.

"Morning Maheen" he said to me surprising me greatly which results in some hesitation on my part before I answered.

"Morning" I answered my eyes still glued to the mug.

"Is Abu awake?" he asked and I still felt his eyes on me so I shook my head in response.

"You came in late yesterday. I thought you were going to spend the night at the hospital quarters. What changed your mind?" Maama asked Akram

"I've been in the hospital for the past two weeks. As soon as I finished my last report; I decided to get out" he responded then grinned, "I was homesick"

Maama rolled her eyes, "You do realize you're not 12"

Akram snickered before reaching over to pull the box of strawberry tea towards him.

"Ya Akram!" Abu screamed from behind me before running to hug his brother who welcomed him with open arms. After the cute reunion; Abu who clearly admired his elder brother very much sat on his brothers legs to have breakfast from his plate. It was adorable.

"Ya Maheen" Abu called my attention amidst chewing his food.

"Swallow, then talk" his brother corrected him just before I did. He nodded, obeyed then after he was done began again, "Ya Maheen you know what?"

"No, I don't" I smiled

"Ya Akram, my brother; he's a doctor" he said proudly

"For the thousandth time," Akram sighed; "I'm not a doctor"

"Yes that's right" he shook his head, "He's a... CORNER!"

Maama chuckled and I frowned in confusion. "A corner?" I couldn't stop myself from asking. Who I was asking though; whether Abu or Akram I wasn't sure.

"And for the millionth time, I'm a coroner" he shook his head in mock disappointment. At the piece of information i felt my mood take a turn. To be reminded of death and dead bodies wasn't exactly what I was looking forward to on a Saturday morning.

I stood up and picked up my plate and cup, I reached for Maama's, placed them atop mine and walked into the kitchen.

XXX

"Are you alright?" Maama asked and I nodded in response not taking my eyes off the chore I was doing. I was helping out with the dishes in the kitchen when maama walked in and stood beside me for a minute before asking the question that she did.

"I'm fine" I smiled at her

"I've raised four teenagers. I think I can detect a lie"

I chuckled despite my mood. "Tell me about them" I found myself asking in an effort to steer the conversation from myself.