chapter 12

Four days later, all my shit was yet again packed away in boxes. I hadn't seen or heard a word from Kurt, and his name burned my tongue like fire every time I spoke his name. I couldn't forget his face, his smell, his laugh, the way his blonde hair hung in his face, or the way he lit up his cigarettes out of my head. I couldn't forget all the times we sat on my roof underneath the stars at three in the morning talking about the world. They say time heals all wounds, but I couldn't have been any more positive that time would not let me forget how much I loved Kurt. I took one last look at the room I didn't wanna leave behind and angrily clomped down the stairs holding the last of my things. "Skye honey, you look sick. Have you not been sleeping?" My mom asked, obviously clueless about how heartbroken I was. "What do you think?" I spat out, furious. She sighed and made her way to the car, shoving boxes and bags into the trunk. I was just about to open the car door when someone tapped me on the shoulder. I gasped in shock and turned around to see Krist and Shelli standing there frowning. "We came to say bye. We'll really miss you, Skye. Keep in touch, kay? You have our number don't you?" Shelli said, hugging me. "Yeah, I've got it." I said, faking a smile the best I could. It took everything I had to not burst into tears and ask about Kurt. We said our goodbyes and soon enough my mom pulled out of the driveway. I couldn't bare to look back or even look out the window. I pulled my hood over my head and closed my eyes, drowing in anxiety and memories.
We arrived at our new home five hours later. I put all my boxes in my room and didn't bother to unpack because I saw no point. I couldn't escape the thought of Kurt, not even in my dreams. I was drowning in his blue eyes constantly, and I missed him so bad I couldn't stand it. No matter what I thought of, it always led to him. I saw him in everything, and I was beginning to wish I never met him because it wasn't worth the pain. Three days passed and I didn't feel any better. It was becoming the same routine. Crying myself to sleep, not eating, and chain smoking. I couldn't bare to listen to music because it all made me think of him. I had to find an escape from the torment, and fast.
My new school was even shittier than Aberdeen and I once again had no friends. All I wanted was to graduate and move somewhere alone the way I was meant to be. I was sitting in the back of my math class, scribbling on my paper when I was suddenly caught off guard. "Skye, you need to go down to the office. Its important." The teacher said, a bit hesitantly. My heart skipped a beat, wondering what was happening. I shoved my things in my backpack, not even bothering to zip it up, and rushed to the front office. I arrived, out of breath and dizzy from anxiety when what looked to be a counselor gently grabbed my arm and pulled me to her office. She took a deep breath and sat down. "Um, I'm sorry, but what's going on??" I asked, worrying. "Skye. Your mother has been in a car accident." She said with a shaky voice. My stomach sank straight to the floor and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. "What? No. This must be a mistake. No. Is she okay? Please tell me she's okay." I rambled as my vision blurred with tears. "Im so sorry for your loss." The woman said, wiping tears from her own eyes. Then, it hit me. My mother was dead. Gone, just like that. I never even told her I loved her or said goodbye. My entire world collapsed underneath my feet, and everything went black. I would never be the same as long as I lived. I collapsed onto the ground and cried so hard I began to hyperventilate. In that moment, I realized hell was real. I was there, in a pit of fiery pain and terror that burned my soul like sulfuric acid. I couldn't escape and I never would be able to. I cried and screamed until everything went black.