chapter 19

A week had passed since I'd seen Kurt. Three more to go. My birthday couldn't arrive soon enough. The aches and pains were enough to make me wanna jump through a window, and I craved heroin quite a bit. Thank god Shelli sent some weed with me or I probably would have went insane. My grandmother tried to take care of me during the day the best she could. I couldn't stay mad at the poor woman. I knew she was just trying to protect me and do what she thought was best. My mom's death had really been hard on the both of us, and I knew she was just trying to look out for me and take care of me for her. I was smoking weed outside the bathroom window one night when I heard something moving around in the bushes outside. My heartbeat accelerated. "Told ya you'd need that." A familiar voice said quietly. I about jumped out of my skin, and thankfully didn't scream. "Shelli what the hell are you doing here?! You scared the shit outta me!" I exclaimed as Shelli giggled from down below. "The guys had a show tonight in Olympia and I thought I'd stop by and check up on ya." She smiled. My heart sank. "Why didn't he come with you?" I whispered, trying to be as quiet as possible. "He didn't wanna get you into trouble or make it harder on you." She replied, trying to move closer to the window. "He hasn't answered my calls, Shell." I mumbled, sighing at the thought. "He's having a hard time I think. He won't really talk to any of us much. He's been gone a lot too." She took a hit off my joint and handed it back to me. At this point, my heart was in my stomach. I knew exactly why he was staying gone. I knew he was doing heroin and anger boiled in my veins when I realized that I was trapped in this house, trying to overcome these cravings and get better for not only for myself, but for Kurt too, and he was out there shooting up the thing that almost killed me. The thing that I had lost sleep over and puked my guts out over. The thing that made every pore in my body hurt. "He won't even answer my calls but he's out shooting up when I'm trying to conquer this?! That's it Shell, I'm paying him a visit. Now." I mumbled angrily as I slid his sweater on and slid out the window. Shelli's face dropped. "Skye, no. Get your ass back in the house. You're gonna get yourself into more trouble." She said, grabbing my arm. "Oh please, Shelli. What's she gonna do if she finds out? Send me to juvie for 3 weeks? I don't care. I'm pissed." I replied, angrily. "Well, if ya say so. He's at the party with the rest of the guys, I'll take you there." She mumbled, unsure of what to do. The house party was only a few blocks away. It hurt me to know how close he was to me, but yet so far away. I took a deep breath as we approached the door. Shelli walked right in, so she must have knew these people pretty well. "What the hell are you doing here Skye?!" Krist exclaimed, putting his arm around me as if he were my uncle or something. I slightly smiled. "Where is he?" I mumbled, seriously. Krist's facial expression seemed concerned. "He's out in the backyard with his guitar I think." He replied, pointing to the back door. I nodded and walked towards it. The top part of the door had a small window. I took a deep breath and peaked out. He was laying in the grass on his back, smoking a cigarette with his guitar laying across him. He was so perfect that it burned my soul. My hands shook as I opened the door and walked outside. He didn't bother to see who it was when he heard the door open. I sighed. "Hey, Kurt." I mumbled. He about jumped outta his skin and quickly turned around. "Skye?!" He exclaimed, rushing over to me. I gently put my hand out and placed it against his chest, stopping him from coming any closer to me. He immediately seemed concerned. "Why haven't you answered any of my calls? I've been needing you. You said you'd be there. A phone call away." I mumbled as tears fell from my eyes. He hung his head, quickly looking away from me in shame. "I-I'm sorry. Its just been..been hard." He mumbled. "Been hard? Been hard, Kurt?! What about how hard its been on me? I've been puking my guts out as my body aches, trying to kick the cravings in that fucking room all alone Kurt." My voice was shaking at this point. "I'm sorry." He mumbled, finally looking at me. His eyes were extremely glossy, struggling to stay open. "Oh god. Kurt. You're fucking high aren't you?!" I sighed, grabbing his face as I realized he was high on heroin. His face almost looked a shade of green. He looked like he was gonna be sick. I tried to push the anger away for the moment and got him to the bathroom. He puked into the toilet and layed down on the floor. "My stomach." He groaned as a bead of sweat formed on his forehead. I stroked his hair as tears poured from my eyes. "I love you, i'm sorry." He slurred. I sighed. I realized that now was obviously a bad time to talk about what was going on. I put the anger in the back of my mind and layed down behind him, rubbing his back. My heart hurt when I realized that an addict cannot help an addict. I closed my teary eyes at the thought. I couldn't leave him like this. So I held him tight, shut my eyes and drifted to sleep. Not giving a shit if I got into any trouble or not in the morning.