chapter 23

Krist and Shelli finally pulled into the driveway a few hours later, and Kurt helped me put my things in the back of the van. Shelli and Krist both seemed pretty excited, which sorta scared me. I knew they were obviously throwing me a party and I was a little nervous about who would be there. I nervously played with the locket around my neck as I stared at the scenery out the window. I could feel Kurt staring at me, so I turned to see him grinning at me. "What is it?" I laughed. "Nothing. You just look super beautiful." He mumbled as he blushed slightly. I got a bit more dressed up than usual, picking out a short, laced cream colored dress with ripped up tights and a denim jacket. "Thanks Kurt, so do you." I smiled at him and he rolled his eyes. The closer we got, the more nervous I became. Kurt put his hand on my leg, rubbing it gently as if he could sense it. When we arrived at Krist's place, I could definitely tell something was up. "You can't come in yet, Skye. Kurt, take her somewhere for like an hour please? We've got more work to do." Shelli said as she hurriedly followed Krist inside. "That's perfect, actually. We'll be back." Kurt said as he helped me get my things, putting them in the trunk of his beat up car. "Where are you taking me?" I asked him, becoming more nervous by the second. "You'll see. Now hush." He smiled, glancing over at me as he focused on driving. "Whatever you say, Cobain." I sighed, still smiling. We drove a few neighborhoods away before he started slowing down. "You ready for your surprise now? " He smiled. "Uh, yeah, i guess?" I replied, nervously. He grinned and kissed my face as he parked the car on the side of the road. "Close your eyes then." He said, opening his car door. A million questions flew through my head as I shut my eyes. I heard my door open, and felt Kurt's perfect, callused hand grab mine. He gently pulled me out of the car and put his arm around me, guiding me to wherever we were going. It wasn't very long at all before we stopped walking. "Okay. Open your eyes." Kurt said nervously, grabbing my hand. I took a deep breath and opened them, becoming confused. "This is ours. Welcome home." Kurt smiled, pointing to a small house that resembled more of a shack than an actual house. "Wait, what?! How?!" I exclaimed, trying to figure out how he possibly got the money together for this. "I saved money from gigs and sold an amp and one of my guitars. I know its not much but I figured we needed somewhere to stay. Just us." He smiled nervously. I didn't even know what to say. I jumped into his arms, tears filling up my eyes as I realized we would have our own little get away from the rest of the world. Just me and Kurt. It didn't matter how small or run down it was, it was ours to escape in. I grabbed his face, kissing him over and over. "This is the best surprise ever! Kurt, I can't even believe you did this. I love you so much." I grinned, hugging him tightly. "I love you too. Lets get your stuff inside?" He asked, almost as if he still wasn't sure I'd actually wanna live here with him. I grinned and quickly grabbed my things from the trunk, practically running down the sidewalk to the front door. "What's the rush?" Kurt asked, smiling as he appeared next to me with the rest of my things. "I wanna see our new home! That's the rush!" I said excitedly, bouncing up and down on the heels of my doc martens like an excited little kid. He pulled a key out of his pocket and unlocked the door, smiling and holding it open for me to walk inside. I stepped in, taking in my surroundings. He was right, it wasn't much. In fact, it was sorta on the verge of being a shit hole. But, with a bit of fixing up and making it home, it'd be perfect for us. There was a small living room area, a kitchen, one bedroom and a bathroom. That's all we needed. "I brought my bed over here already and Krist's mom gave us a couch she wasn't using. So if you really wanna do this, tonight can be our first night here." Kurt mumbled as he sat down my things. "Really?! Tonight?! Kurt, of course I wanna do this! And where else am I gonna stay tonight silly?" I laughed. He smirked slightly and sighed. "I dunno. Your grandma's? I mean, this place isn't much." He mumbled, quickly looking away from me. I grabbed his face assuringly. "Kurt, listen to me. I am so happy about this. I couldn't be more grateful right now. I wanna stay right here with you. Here is where I wanna be. The fact we have our own place to be with each other now is the best present I've ever received." I pulled his face to mine, kissing him tenderly. Our foreheads rested together as we locked hands. I stared into his eyes and it instantly took my breath away. I wasn't sure if I'd ever be able to look into those blue eyes of his without my heart skipping a few beats. But, I was perfectly fine with that. "We better get back. Shelli will kill me if I make you late to your own..uh..umm.." Kurt said, stopping dead in his tracks after realizing what he was saying. I grinned and poked his nose. "Late to my what? Party?" I said tauntingly, trying not to laugh. "Fuck." Kurt mumbled as he put his palm on his forehead. "Kurt relax! I already figured it out anyway. Shelli is awful at keeping a secret." I laughed, wrapping my arms around him. He smiled, a bit relieved by my words. "Okay, good. Well, you ready?" He asked, brushing a hair away from my eyes. "Ready as I'll ever be." I smiled and followed his lead out the door. I looked behind me at our little tiny home as we made our way to the car, smiling to myself as I realized even if the party ended up being horribly embarrassing, I now had a place to come to where Kurt and I could forget the rest of the world. I imagined us blasting music at 2 a.m., painting a new picture on the walls everyday, getting completely lost in each other with no one around to disturb us. It was somewhere to call home that would finally feel like home, and that was the greatest gift I could have ever received.