twelve

if the truth will break me, then I think I'd rather listen to the rhythm of silence all my life.

I stepped back from the wall, putting the cap back on my red Sharpie and staring at the written sentence. I grimaced; nothing I ever wrote seemed to be good enough. but words were the only thing still keeping me sane, so I decided that they were enough for now.

"red," Finn's voice came from behind me. I turned around, a little surprised by the sound of his voice. it'd been three days and Finn had been completely silent, but I hadn't paid much attention to him anyways. I'd been so focused on trying to remember the memories I'd lost that I'd nearly forgotten he was still here. 

I was one hell of a terrible roommate.

Finn cleared his throat and gestured towards the wall behind me."why red?" he asked. 

"why did I ask for a red Sharpie?" Finn nodded. I shrugged, glancing at the wall as I sat on my bed. "because it's too clean here," I answered tiredly even though I was wide awake. "too white. I wanted some color in the room."

"hmm." Finn shuffled his feet and looked away from me. he was sitting on the ground again, like he always was; for some reason he preferred the floor to his bed, like he was afraid of falling and the lower he was, the safer he felt. 

I stared at him, noticing a white scar peeking through his gown sleeve on his left arm. the scar stared back at me, taunting me, like it was asking why I knew so little about myself, this place, and Finn.

of all the things that were a mystery to me, he was the most intriguing one. for some reason I couldn't fathom, I felt drawn to him. I wanted to know him, I wanted to understand him, and I wanted to protect him. but why? he was beautiful, alluring, like the ocean at sunset was, but ocean waves tend to get too strong sometimes, strong enough to drown anyone who dares to try to go too far.  

"why are you here?" I asked Finn, bringing his attention back to me. his soft eyes pierced through mine and I raised my eyebrows at him, waiting for an answer.

I almost laughed when he didn't respond.