“Sir,” I greeted, panting as I leaned against the car next to him. “What is the situation?”

            “We’ve hostages inside,” Boss sighed. “Undercover agents got their cover blown and we arrived right as they were about to be executed. Our screeching tires as we pulled up caused a distraction so the agents were able to hide and shoot a few of the gang members-”

            My throat tightened. “Boss-”

            He turned to look at me. “Your brother is still inside. You’d better hurry and come up with some brilliant plan in order to get into the warehouse, alive, and bring your brother back, alive, with him alive as well.”

            I deftly slipped my gun out from behind my back, tucked inside my waistband. “Sir, are you giving me permission to-“

            Rapid gunshots crackled through the air. Car windows shattered, and I felt debris sprinkle on top of me.

            “Get down!” I yelled, throwing myself over Boss’s body and forcing him to the ground. I heard a pain-filled yell from a comrade.

            “Boss, I’ve been shot!” One of the agents wheezed. He limped into my line of sight, and I sagged in relief when I saw it was a simple leg wound.

            “Clean through?’ I questioned. Poor guy was new on the job too.

            He nodded and grasped his calf. “Think so, I’ll be fine. Damn gangsters! I have a wedding to attend! Can’t be limping…” he muttered. At the sound of his random ramblings, I felt the inappropriate urge to laugh. Hysterically.

            “On it, sir,” I responded, turning back to Boss. He grunted and I realized I was still smothering him. I uttered a hurried apology and rolled off, standing up.

            “Peters,” he coughed. “Make it out alive.”

            I nodded curtly. “I’ll try my best, Boss.” And with that, I checked to see if the coast was clear. “Cover my back!” I shouted to the agents behind me. Bullets whizzed through the air again, another attack from the gangsters, and I ran across the space between the warehouse entrance and the car shelter.

            Here goes nothing.

~

*Ainsley’s PoV*

            Finally home! Being discharged from the hospital was probably the highlight of my week so far. No, it was THE highlight of my week so far.

            I groaned and flung an arm over my eyes. Christmas was tomorrow, and I still hadn’t gone shopping. Life is kind of put on a back burner when you’re helplessly trapped inside a hospital that reeks with death and feels like a prison.

            Carefully, I slipped out of my bed, trying not to put too much weight on my left foot. My ugly puke-green cast caught my eye, and I sneered at it. Thank you, Seneva.