Chapter 28

Tears Of A Priority
( general pic of Mercedes in MM )

Mercedes was up bright and early for her very first jail visit with Ja . She didn't know what to expect but she was very excited about just seeing him face to face for the first time in what felt like forever . She had spent about 4 weeks waiting for her approved day of visitation .

She had about a 3 hour drive depending on the traffic to sing sing correctional facility , she had spent a hour doing her hair and makeup , a hour picking an appropriate outfit & packing her bag with snacks and everything else she might need .

It was 6:00 in the morning when she left her house & her parents wished her a safe travel & to call if it was any problems .

When Mercedes arrived to sing sing , it was only 8:45 in the morning & she had a long process ahead of her before she got to see Ja .

Dressed in Army green jeans with gold zippers down the legs , chestnut brown uggs & a creme sweater with small slits up the sides  . She hoped they wouldn't give her a hard time about the way she was dressed . She spent time looking up what to do and what not to do when wearing stuff to prisons .

Mercedes pulled her keys out the ignition & was taken back when officers approached her vehicle with K-9 dogs .

" Is this your first time visiting an inmate in a facility "? One officer asked . She looked at his name tag and saw that his name was Thomas .

" yes , is there something wrong "?

" No , but we must search your vehicle as the first step into the visiting process ". He said politely .

" okay , just let me open up the doors for you ".

Mercedes unlocked the drivers side to her car & stepped back as the dogs did their jobs .

" This looks good on your behalf that you didn't put up a fight and get rowdy with the car check ". Thomas said .

" How long does this usually take "?

" about 5 minutes ". The officer assured her . " there goes the signal that your car is Clean and you're not smuggling anything of any kind into the facility ".

                             •••

When Mercedes got through with the questionnaire's & the pat down she was sent to a room with about 15 tables with chairs on both sides . She was told that the inmate she was visiting would receive the message of her arrival and should arrive shortly . She was in the room with 10 other women of all ages , some of whom bought their children to visit as well .

She could only imagine what it felt like for the fathers not being able to be with their kids & not being able to be a real father because he was behind bars . It was a traumatic experience to put a child in , especially a growing more aware child because children were inquisitive . Asking questions such as how come we can leave but daddy has to stay ? Can we stay with daddy in his room ? How come daddy has so many friends in this place ? The questions would only later become understanding , frustration and anger .

Mercedes felt the butterflies in her stomach flutter when the inmates began filing in . Her eyes met Ja's before he even saw her . He was standing there cuffed by his ankles and his wrists until the guards uncuffed him and let him look around to find his visitor .

Mercedes was already sitting at the table she picked and when Ja noticed her a smile pulled at his beautiful lips and he made his way over to her .

Standing to her feet , Mercedes took Ja Into her arms briefly , and placed a kiss on his awaiting lips .

Although he was in jail , he still looked good in the prison attire he sported . Ja pulled out the seat and sat down .