Chapter Ten.

Ever since I had read my Uncle's messages, the thought had been implanted in my head, and the paranoia had set in. I was relieved when I woke up and he wasn't there. I could shower without that creeping feeling that inched its way up my spine. I could get dressed without peering out the window and checking if his car was still there.

      I tromped downstairs, pausing at the landing, and seeing my mom sitting on the couch watching television. Usually on any normal Sunday morning, my mom would be at church with her congregation. But since dad's death, she hadn't made a single session. She was still in her pajamas and it was almost noon. 

      I wasn't a religious person, never had been, but my mom's lack of faith was kind of a bummer, if it was appropriate to even say that. I mean, she had been adamant about going every Sunday, but I guess I couldn't blame her for not going these last two months. Her cheating husband, whom she had loved, had died. Possibly murdered. 

      " Where are you going?" My mom asked as she blinked and noticed me watching her. She feebly attempted to tame her hair with her lazy hand. 

      " Uh, " I said. " I have a date with Thierry today, so I'm just heading out."

      " I haven't seen that boy in a long time. Tell him to stop by one day or other. " She mumbled with a smile. I guess since she had read the note left by my dad's killer she had become numb, because she hadn't went to the police with it nor had she mentioned it again. She just... sat around. 

       " Okay. " I told her, but it was a lie. I didn't want to see Thierry after yesterday. I was taking the notes to the police station and talking to someone, finally. Maybe after today someone would believe me about my father. 

       I had quietly called earlier and asked for Detective Kelly, but he wasn't there yet, so I figured by the time I showered and got there, he would be. 

       The police station was in the Town Centre and it was easy to spot from the high way. I parked my car next to the building so it wasn't visible to anyone cruising by who might recognize it. I held the folded note in my sweaty palm and got out of my car. 

      I walked up to the front desk, greeted by a stubby looking women with a short, dated perm in her dark hair and blue eye shadow. 

       " How can I help you? " She asked with a strong southern accent, it sounded Texan, but I hardly had an ear for accents. 

       " I'm Dawn Alexander. I, um, called earlier about my father. " I said, tapping my fingers on the counter. " I need to speak to Detective Kelly."

       She pursed her lips and picked up the phone, pressing a single button. A few moments passed us by. 

       " Mr. Kelly, the Alexander girl is here to speak to you. " The clerk said, keeping her suspicious eyes on me. I raised my eyebrows at her, then narrowed them. Who did she take me for? " Okay, alrighty. "

      " He will see you now. Go through those doors and it's the first door on the right. " She pointed to double-paned glass doors and went back to working on her crossword puzzle. I rolled my eyes and walked away with the note tight in my hand. 

      Robert Kelly, Detective. That's what was stickered to the door in black, bold letters. I knocked, heard a mumbled 'come in,' and pushed the door open.

      Detective Kelly was a broad man with a square jaw, big brown eyes, and a bit of a beer gut. He was huffy and puffy and very serious most of the time. He had also been the man to rule on my father's death before the coroner had confirmed it a suicide. 

      He sat behind his big desk, dressed his grey sports blazer and white button-up shirt with the coffee stain to the left of his shirt pocket. His office was stuffy, like he was, with wood paneled walls, cold tile floors, and two stiff chairs positioned in front of his desk. I felt a bit suffocated.

      " So, Dawn, what is it you wanted to discuss? " He asked, clearly remembering me from the previous investigation. 

       " My father." I said, taking a seat and trying to get as comfortable as was possible for the moment.  " I think he was murdered. "

       " That's a big allegation, Dawn. " He said, fixing his eyes on mine. " What makes you say this?"

       " I have this ' suicide ' note that I believe was writing by the murderer instead. It isn't his hand-writing. It isn't even close, sir. "

       " Well, he probably wasn't in his right mind when he wrote that. Probably frantic or anxious to get it done. I've seen it a million times. " He said as he looked over the note I gave him. 

       " No. I also found lots of threatening messages on his phone. He wasn't the kind of man to take his own life. " I added, reaching in to my pockets and laying the cell phone down on the desk. " Someone wanted him badly for something. "

      " And who do you think killed your father, Hun?" He was humouring, that much I realized. He didn't care about the facts I had brought in or about my family's justice. He just didn't want to be bothered. 

      " My Uncle Rich. " I stated. " I called the number that had left those needy messages and it was my uncle's phone. "

       " So your uncle, Rich, was the man who killed your father. " He raised an eyebrow. " Allegedly."

       " Yeah. I believe so. " I nodded.

      Detective Kelly sucked in a deep breath, rubbing his sweaty forehead, and then clasped his hands together on the desk. He looked at me with those dark eyes and I grew annoyed just looking at him. 

       " What happened was a real tragedy, Dawn. Your father was a good man, he did a lot for this community. " I knew where this was going. " But sometimes you don't know people like you think you do. People can lie about depression or mental disorders. I think you should see a grief counselor to relieve some of these outlandish accusations. I think you're going through a tough time and -"

       " A tough time?" I barked a laugh. " My father was murdered and no one is doing a god damned thing about it. You have no idea what a ' tough time ' I am having. "

      I stood, straightening my hoodie out, and squaring my shoulders. " If no one is going to help or believe me then I was just have to do this alone."

     I stormed out, forgetting the note and the cell phone on his desk. I didn't care, though, I was infuriated and defeated at the same time. I couldn't get a soul on this planet to get on my side and bring the killer to justice, who could likely be my uncle.

     Except maybe Wendy.

     " Wendy. " I remembered as I got behind the wheel of my car. I remembered what she had told me about the insurance money. Uncle Rich was the next beneficiary after me on dad's life insurance.  After me. 

      Dad had a few hundred thousand dollars in his life insurance policy and that was to be turned over to an account in my name when I turned eighteen at the end of this month. Then it was mine. 

      It suddenly all came together in my head in one sweeping, heart-crushing wave. It was for the insurance money. Uncle Rich wanted the money.

     And now I was the only thing in his way.