Chapter Four.

To Sharon and Dawn, I am so sorry.

     I clutched the letter in my hand, holding it close to my chest. I sat there, legs crossed, quietly on my bed. Rain pounded against my window and the sunshine was far away. I hadn't showed anyone the letter. I knew I probably should have, but it was something I wanted to keep for myself. Everyone had already assumed that my dad had committed suicide, but I didn't want them to see the note nonetheless.

     I had known as soon as I had seen my dad swinging that someone else had been behind it. My dad was not a coward and suicide was a cowards way out.

     It was early, earlier than I usually was on a Saturday. I folded the note and slipped it in between the drawers of my desk. I swung my legs over the bed, my feet touching the cold hard wood floor. I shivered, pushing the hair from my face. 

     Peering out the window, I noticed my moms SUV was still in the driveway as was Uncle Richs Tiburon.  I bit my lip, took a deep breath, and went downstairs. 

     Mom was sitting at the kitchen island, drinking a mug of coffee and Uncle Rich was pushing eggs around in the skillet. My mom look distressed, as usual, with her blonde hair a mess and her blue eyes were distant.

     " Oh, good morning, Dawn. " Uncle Rich said, brightly. " Want some eggs? " 

     " Eh, no. Thanks. " I shook my head, grabbing a towel from the pantry. " I'm going to shower. "

     I left with my words still hanging in the air, unable to look at my uncle for a long amount of time. He looked too much like my dad. I had a mission today and I couldn't be disde tracked. All though, I had been thrown off track when I awoke to my mom and uncle being home. I had hoped to have the house to myself. It would have made snooping much easier. But I had a plan B, also. 

     I showered and got dressed for the rain, in a hoodie , jeans, and boots. I did a quick dry over my hair, but it was pointless. On my way down the hall, I spotted my dads set of keys. Several keys dangled from a single ring, and looking around for my mom and uncle, I eased them off the wall hook and slipped them in to my pocket.

     " Where are you going? " My mom asked as she seen me walk by. I paused, thinking of a liable excuse. 

     " Uhm. Seeing Thierry. " I looked between her and Uncle Rich. 

     " He's such a nice boy. Tell him I said hello. " Mom said, smiling a bit. 

     " Okay. " I said, grabbing my own keys off the counter and slinging my bag over my shoulder. " Bye Uncle Rich. " 

    Uncle Rich gave me a perculiar stare, in which I couldn't break until I opened the front door and slipped outside. I pulled my hood up and climbed behind the wheel of my car. 

    I parked outside of my dads office building, peering up at the small, two-story brick building. Upstairs was the archives, blueprints, and building history and downstairs were the offices. 

    I had to get some kind of information about the last few people who had seen my dad alive. I just had to find out who they were first, seeing as all of his work had vanished from our house. For a moment or two, though, I couldn't move from my car. I just stared at the building. 

    Breathing slowly, I went up to the door, expecting it to be closed and locked. It was inched open. My heart dropped into my stomach, keys in hand, as I pushed my way inside. Of course, it could have easily been left open by dad on his last day. 

    A cool whoosh of air met me as I stepped into the lobby, struggling to see through the dim room. The lights had been shut off last week, after the funeral. The office was still in my family's possesion, but my mother had no use of it since my father was no longer here to go through clients.