Chapter thirteen: Draconic Dependence

"Is this everything you'll need?" Henry asked, handing over the two bags of supplies he'd purchased from around town. Angie stood back, not even bothering to try and delay the quest. There was no stopping it, and showing fear now would be a vital mistake. Viola had told her about the elements of balance being one of the only two things that could kill an Immortal, and now that Viola would become an Immortal, the elements of balance weren't needed. This meant that, if she could complete her part alone, maybe, just maybe, Alisa would let her remain unmelded! Angie could only hope.

The pair set off through town, escorted by Henry so not to attract any suspicion from  Illusionists citizens. The streets were thick with mud, as Nyra warmed the land day by day. Snow was thankfully still tied and ready for them at the gate. After thanking Henry again, the two mages set off towards the mountain, separated by their pet. Angie walked in back, knuckles white against her green wand and her eyes on Alisa. She began threatening about how apparently dangerous the beast was. It was likely that she had caught on to Angie's plan, not that that changed anything. Angie drowned her out by silently reciting a textbook's information on dragons to the best of her memory.

A dragon's body is evolution in motion. All dragons hatch in a form similar to a grown iguana lizard, then grow to adapt to their environment. They can live nearly anywhere once hatched. From birth, one has to fend for their lives against natural predators, making them grow muscular, agile and armored in most cases, but there are as many different cases as there are beasts themselves. Nearly all  that survive until adulthood become increasingly aggressive towards other species and each other . Nearly hunted to extinction to save weaker species , the  dragon is likely to die out within a few decades.

It was hardly a helpful strategy.

The ground grew rougher and the mountain path was covered in a thin layer of snow, the same as all of the realm when they first arrived. Minutes into the climb, Alisa fell silent, tired from the climb. Strenuous hours passed before they caught sight of the cave. It was nowhere near the top, but far enough out of sight to keep it hidden. Even now, it was shrouded in mist that had accumulated in the high-up place. Angie picked up the pace- maybe Alisa would miss it and there would be no need for this quest- how strong could a dragon grown in Newvenia be against forgotten realm griffons and tigers? No need for this! No need!

"Running away?" Alisa asked. Angie came back down the path.

"No. I just didn't see the cave, is all," she responded. Alisa laughed weakly.

"Why don't you just go in there, use your circus trick on it, and come out? It has no reason to want this place to suck, it lives here too."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I can't talk to animals. I don't know where everyone keeps getting that idea, but I can't."

Alisa laughed indignantly, realizing the full implications of what her twin was saying. After her friends had been flaunting her supposed power like it was fact, she was denying it. "Well, how do you communicate with them? You can, I know it. You're too much of a coward to live a lie."

"No, I can't. I tell them I just understand them a little better, what with my experience and all, but I guess they took it out of context." Alisa turned around, laughing under her breath. Stupid, stupid girl! Never thought the lie would catch up with her? Putting their lives in danger?

"Snow! Into the cave!" she yelled, pointing into the dragon's home. Snow bounded obediently towards it.

"No, come back here!" Angie called after him. The wolf stopped and turned back, but as soon as he saw Alisa's hand on the whip on her belt, he disappeared into the cave.