Chapter eleven: war plans

The group could barely believe their eyes. Viola did feel different, even though they were physically similar. It was as though there were two minds in her body. She stood up and looked at her friends and followers. Followers? Viola thought, They're as strong as I am!  Valetta could have rolled her eyes. This isn't going to be as clean a meld as I thought. At least we don't have to worry about losing independent thought. But come on, we can lead them.

Rachel had other matters on her mind, peering at her twin. "We can do it now, right?"

"Sure." The two came together in a flash of light, and they were one. "We got along," she explained.

"Well, that was unexpected," understated Tiana, looking somewhat bewildered, "what are we going to call you now?"

"Rachel's fine, Ria was too girly anyhow," Rachel answered, trying to keep things light. The two had come together cleanly, other than the wartime memories she was beginning to access. It was a memory Ria was used to, so she hoped as they became perfectly one, she could forget them as well.

"Alright. At any rate, we need to get this realm prepared for conflict." Henry instructed.

"Alrighty," Tiana cut in, ready to share her army knowledge, "He said that he will be using beasts, and we five all know that the realm's dragon will be ready to help. So, good thing we have someone who can communicate with animals. Angie, you'll be the one to tame this realm's dragon. If that's plausible," she finished, giving a look at Alisa.

Good, Angie thought, No way is taming a vicious beast like a dragon possible. I'm not sure I'd so much as approach one. She was doing her best impression of an Illusionist, blending in with the woodwork. The war would happen, but she could and would not be involved in it.

"Oh, it's plausible. If you can communicate with the thing, and I can give it force, there's nothing we can't make it do."

"No!" Angie yelped. So much for her Illusionist impression, but this was something she absolutely wouldn't do, "it's crazy. I-I wouldn't stand a chance."

"Well, it's our only hope to match the Newvenian dragon," Rachel gently pointed out. "You're our only hope of it."

Angie thought about this. Was it another thing she'd be selfish not to do? Not really, it wasn't as though she was choosing her conscience over the benefit, just her cowardice, but after Rachel had put it that way, how could she say no?

"Fine. But... can you come with me?" she asked. Keener on the idea of a monstrous adventure away from people and a war that could spark the memories, Rachel was about to say yes when Thalia cut in.

"You're one disappointing twin," she said to Tiana, "If you're forgetting that we need an army, or better yet several, more than we need a dumb beast."

Tiana was clearly annoyed, but she wasn't going to deny what Thalia had said. "Henry, get your Illusionists together. We'll need them, too."

"Why should I?"

"Because if you don't, I swear to god we're all going to die out here each day the war is fought and this whole charade will have been for nothing."

"Now, Tiana!" Valetta cut in. "Don't be rude. I think I'll lead before we tear each other apart. Rachel, what good would you do on the dragon quest?"

Rachel was at a loss. "Moral support and more than minor fighting skills?"

"Well, you've always wanted to be a guard," Viola continued, unimpressed by the short list, "Now's your time." Rachel felt sick to her stomach. Not now. Anytime but now. "If that's alright."

"Of course it's alright!" Rachel lied, "it's awesome!" Tiana and Angie noticed that she wasn't being herself, but thought nothing much of it, and Viola smiled, confidant in her decision.

"Of course, Tiana will also be a soldier. She's the only one here with information on the Newvenian army, and skills from it."

"Right for it," she reported, grinning internally at her twin, who had been given proof that she was the most useful.

"Thalia will go with you. And Alisa, it goes without saying that you'll go with Angie."

"No, please!" Angie pleaded, and Viola remembered how, by her reports, Alisa had whipped her. But concern for Angie's safety kept her silent. She needed Alisa protect her, and she knew what a powerful beast tamer they'd make when combined. I just hope she keeps her good nature.

"Just think of her as a bodyguard." Angie looked at Viola with a look of horror, but what could she do? Let her go alone to fail and die?

"That I can do," Alisa affirmed, "And what are you three going to do?" Viola hadn't thought of this.

"They'll be coming with me," Nyra answered, stepping out into the garden, "Felicia and Faye will impersonate me and keep the spell a put on Talis relatively stable, while I train you," she explained, casting her gaze on Viola. "I'm sorry for yelling at you earlier. Your experience with Immortals will be very useful... especially if you're qualified to become one." Viola was overwhelmed. She had known that this was a possibility now- but an actuality? It had never crossed her mind if she wanted to be an Immortal, as much as she respected them. Valetta had wanted to be one, but the plan was her top priority. Now, for better or worse, they both would see what it meant to be Immortal.