Chapter two: Starlake

The alternate world looked like Newvenia, but it definitely didn't feel like it. The town appeared to be in ruins. Weather had always been reasonably good in Newvenia, but this place was freezing. The people the girls saw looked unfriendly and untrusting to say the least. Some were in armour- real armour, Viola realized. Were they actually scared of being hurt? The castle that stood miles away, on the top of the hill, was practically collapsed. The group knew that the first thing they had to do was get warm clothing, and fast.

"Well, if my shop is still where it used to be, then we should be able to get some fur coats there." Felicia suggested. "Wait, who would be running it?"

The girls weren't too sure, and were too eager for proper clothing to stop and chat about it. They made their way to the shop, which was obviously not made out of glass but some kind of stone. There was no sign. Inside, Felicia could have screamed. It was incredibly dirty, and filled with armour and the odd weapon instead of jewels.

"Come out! Who has turned my beautiful shop into this...this-" She was cut off by the sound of metal slamming upon metal, caused by a tall, armoured, and very dirty young woman.

"What is it? Sorry, didn't hear you come in." she spat, still turned from them and focused on her wielding. The girls looked to each other. Viola finally spoke up.

"We were wondering if you have any winter wear, mam. We're new here. But we can see you're busy here, so we'll just be going. "

"Of course you can buy some furs. Wait. You're new here?" She turned to the girls and her eyes seemed to light up like a wolf's before prey. "They'll be free." Felicia felt that her intelligence had been insulted. Did the stranger not think she could handle herself in this world?

"No, take these!" she said fiercely as she shoved some silver coins in her face.

"We don't use those. Come on, I'll show you to... a local guide. Maybe along the way you can sell that silver to me for some real currency." The five were in no position to refuse help, but none were naïve enough to think she was trying to be helpful. They kept their eyes on her as they put on the furs and followed her to what seemed to be the coffee shop from Newvenia. It was in slightly worse condition then its otherworldly twin, but it was nice to see a familiar sight. "She'll be in here. She's such a fucking boozer." she commented. "My name is Faye, by the way." With that, she turned to leave.

The group came in to the shop and began looking around. Faye had described their guide as looking like the girl sitting in the corner. She looked like she didn't want to draw attention to herself. "Um, hey." Viola began. The girl just stared blankly at them. "Are you our guide? I mean, a guide, I guess, because-" She was making her nervous. Which was ridiculous, she reminded herself. She had a wand, after all. And was a good deal bigger.

"Faye sent you?" she said.

"Yes, now who are you?" Rachel answered. This was probably weirding her out most of all. The girl essentially had her build and eye colour, and the same fire-red hair. If Faye was Felicia's double, how could this creep be hers?

"I'm Ria. You're new here, aren't you?" She said emotionlessly.

"Yeah. Now, as our guide, what exactly are you supposed to do with us?"

"Be patient, Rachel. I'll buy you guys a drink."

"How on earth do you know my name!?"

"Don't be rude, I'm buying your drinks. What kind do you all want?" she responded curtly. While there wasn't a trace of fear on her face, it was apparent she wasn't meant to say how she knew. The group looked over the menu. The only thing they could recognize was apple cider, so that's what they got. It looked like ordinary cider, but it tasted horrible!

"This stuff has been let to ferment!" Viola commented. Their guide laughed.

"You thought it would be apple juice?" he looked around at the lot of them. "All of you?"

"Well, I like it!" Rachel said, downing the entire glass. Viola noted that she looked kind of out of it. They'd have to protect her if this girl turned out to be a threat.

"Drink." Ria ordered. The group didn't respond. "Fine, we'll do it while you're sober. Makes no difference."

"Wh-what does?" Angie asked. Ria didn't answer. She summoned a cube of light around their table. Everyone in the bar stared to them. The girls clawed at the imprisoning glass cube, yelling for help, but no one came to their aid.

"No one can see us now." With her spell hiding her from the crowd, Ria rose off the ground and kicked Rachel in the head, leaving her unconscious. "You're all coming with me!"