10: Followed

As soon as her rather boring Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson came to a close, Arabella stormed out the door, not far behind the Slytherin gang that was always quick to escape class.

"Why is she like this?" John asked Will and Halia for the third time that day, looking particularly miserable.

"She doesn't go anywhere with us anymore. She hardly even talks to me at Prefect meetings. And it's as if I don't even exist whenever I sit near her in the common room!" he cried.

Will watched her billowing robes as she stalked down the hallway before disappearing around a corner. "She's going through a hard time, John. Maybe you were right to give her some space."

"But she was hugging and apologising just last week!" the Gryffindor sputtered. "I don't understand."

"John, her father's as good as dead!" Halia pointed out. "If he ever comes back to England -- or anywhere else civilised in the wizarding world -- he'll be caught and sent straight to Azkaban! Killed, even!"

He bit his lip, clutching so tightly onto his books that his knuckles turned bone white as they passed a group of giggling third year girls.

"Have you seen anybody come by here?" Will inquired, flashing his bright grin at their reddening faces. "It's quite important."

"Yes, there was a girl who came by," a freckled blonde Ravenclaw said, batting her eyelashes at Will. "Practically sprinting, wasn't she? You'd think there was a dragon in the castle, she was in such a hurry."

John drew himself out of his brooding, tilting his head slightly to one side. "Anyone else?"

All the girls paused for a moment, their brows furrowed in concentration. One stepped forward -- a stout, bespectacled girl who had been standing behind all the others. Her hair was in dark plaits hanging over her shoulders, and her cheeks were shining with tears.

"I-I think there was a b-boy," she stammered, wiping her acne-ridden face with her sleeve. "They were b-b-both P--" she let out a little sniffle-- "Prefects."

John nodded in gratitude at her, just after Halia thanked her excessively for her help. The poor girl stammered some more before thanking them in return -- what for, they knew not.

"Who could the other Prefect be?" John thought aloud, his lips drawn into a thin line.

"Well, it's not me, and it's not you," Will said with a light laugh. "Must be Riddle or Oxby."

Halia shook her head. "Oxby has double Potions right now. My friend Anna is in the same class as him."

John frowned. "What is she after Riddle for? It can't be because he showed her up in class today, can it?"

Will gave him an amused look. "And when has she ever done that?"

"Quite a few times, now that I've thought about it," John replied, his lips almost turning upwards at the corners.

Halia suddenly motioned for them both to be quiet, holding out her arm to prevent them from going any further. "They're talking," she hissed.

"Oh, I think they're doing more than just talking," Will commented with raised eyebrows.

"I'll say," John agreed, his face darkening.

The door before them slammed shut on its own, startling the three friends, yet it did nothing to silence the commotion inside.

"What've you done to my brother?" Arabella's muffle voice sounded through the stone walls.

There was a pause. "I don't think I understand what you're talking about, Travers."

"I know perfectly well that you do, Riddle." She spat out his name like it was poison on her lips, leaving a small smile on John's face. "I saw you. All of you."

"I'm afraid you must have been dreaming something very interesting," Tom said icily. "Perhaps Trevil would be interested to hear it. She's out of the hospital wing now."

"Don't you dare lie to me," Arabella replied in a low voice. "I know what I saw."

He emitted a laugh, an oddly high-pitched sound. "Then tell me, Travers. What did you see?"

John could picture her perfectly in his head, with her hands balled up into fists at her sides and the vein in her forehead throbbing. She always turned beet red when she was angry, something which he found adorable and she found horrifyingly embarrassing.

"I don't quite know," she admitted so quietly that Halia, Will, and John had to strain to hear her words.

"Why don't you go discuss it with your friends outside, then?" Tom suggested smoothly. "They're just dying to know what's happening, and I believe that we're done here, anyways."

The door opened slowly, with Arabella's voice now loud and laced with intense hatred. "You make me sick, Tom Riddle."

She looked down to see her three best friends crouched next to the door, their backs pressed against the wall.

"Oh, I can't even trust you either now, can I?" she snapped.

John opened his mouth, but Will cut him off quickly.

"I don't think that now's a good time to talk to her," Will said meekly.

\\

Do you think Johnbella is sinking?

I hope you guys enjoyed this quick little chapter! Sorry for not updating these past few days, I've been busy with getting adjusted to my new classes and all. I'll try to update every other day from here on out.

And... I've started writing that Draco fic I was thinking about a few chapters ago, and it'll be up by the weekend 😊

Today's Question: Who is your favourite secondary character so far?

Until next time!
-o