Chapter Three: Pure White Wings

Mitch was gaping as he stared at the wings from the mirror. He backed up until he hit the side of his bed, making him fall back on the bed right onto his wings. He stifled a yell as felt pain coming from his back. He jumped up, and he could feel the wings stretch wide behind him. He gasped, looking into the mirror to see that his wings had a huge wingspan, one of the wings actually brushing against one of the walls of his room.

"You have got to be kidding me. This was the catch??!!?!?" he said, grabbing one of his wings and pulling it in front of him, studying it. "I didn't know what to expect, but... this?!?!?!?" He let go of his wing, letting it align itself with the other one.

Mitch sat in silence, flinching whenever he felt his wings move behind him. He had then noticed that there were small shreds of his V-neck on the floor, and had used the mirror to find that the wings had almost completely ripped through the back of his shirt, and joined his skin about where his shoulder blades were, the change from feather to skin obvious and abrupt. Mitch sighed as he put his head in his hands.

He jumped up when a sudden realization came over him. What am I going to tell the others?!?!?!? He thought frantically. I can't show them this! They'll think I'm a freak! Mitch closed his eyes and held his head as more frantic thoughts came to him. I have to think of something to hide these things.... But how the hell am I supposed to do that?!?!?

He took a few deep breaths and opened his eyes, noticing that his wings were curled around him like a cocoon. He groaned as he opened them. He paced around his room, trying to think of ideas to conceal his wings. He eventually thought of an idea, and grabbed his hoodie from off of his dresser. He carefully wrapped his wings tightly under his arms and around his chest. He slipped on his hoodie and zipped it on so that his wings were hidden. It was a bit uncomfortable, but it would have to work. He took a deep breath and opened his door, walking downstairs (after knocking repeatedly on Ty's door while yelling "TYYYYYYYY!" Seeing that it was closed, that meant he was probably sleeping). He saw that Ian, Quentin and Jason were already in the kitchen. Quentin was talking to Jason, who looked half-awake and groggy.

Ian was the only one who noticed Mitch walkingin , and giving him a small wave, before noticing his hoodie, making him raise an eyebrow. "Umm... Mitch, you are aware that it's the middle of summer right...?" he asked with a laugh.

Mitch tried to push aside his nervousness and smiled back. "Problem?" he said before absent-mindedly snatching the cereal box from in front of Ty, who had just walked into the kitchen. Ty groaned, looking like he had just gotten out of bed, and his probably just did.

"That's just cruel Mitch..." Ty said, snatching the box back as soon as Mitch had poured himself a bowl. "I mean, first you make me fall out of my bed by knocking and screaming outside my door..." Ty reached for the milk, but Mitch had beaten him to it, the Benja smiling smugly. "And then you just take the cereal just as I was going to grab it! CRUEL MAN. CRUEL. Are you even listening?!?!?" Ty yelled, although, you could hear a joking tone in his voice.

"Hmmph? I whas lisphining." Mitch said, but it was hard to understand with the cereal in his mouth.

"EW. Mitch. Mouth closed please." Quentin said, disgust in his voice. They all laughed, and went about their business.

After eating, Mitch ran upstairs and kicked Jerome's door open, not even thinking about whether he was awake or not. "JAYROOOOOME. HUNGER DEEEAAAAAANS."

Jerome jumped at Mitch's barge into his room, and Mitch saw that Jerome had Minecraft open on his computer. Jerome smiled and leaned back in his chair, dramatically putting his hand over his chest. "My gawd Mitch! You gave me a heart attack- MMPH!" Jerome said before he was hit in the face by a flying pillow.