95. Burning at Both Ends

Start from the beginning

"Draco, you're pacing dear," Narcissa said softly. "Is something wrong?"

He glanced at her. "No. Nothing."

Suddenly, an arm draped around his shoulder. It was Lucius. He looked up at him, glad to see him home again.

"You should be happy, Draco. Things are looking up again. Everything is as it should be."

Draco smiled. "Of course it is. I'm happy to serve."

Lucius nodded proudly. "Of course you are."

Voldemort walked into the room and everybody stiffened. Even Bellatrix, who was still in her prison clothes at the moment, froze, but only for a moment. She walked up to him, practically floated.

"My lord, it is so good to see you. Is there anything I can do?"

"No," he told her. "Other than change those filthy garments. I'll need you to do torture someone for me though. As soon as you get back."

She flashed a deranged smile. "Who?"

"I'll tell you when you get back."

Clapping her hands like an ecastatic school girl, she rushed off.

"Draco, come here please."

Draco swallowed. The sound of Voldemort's voice was like nails on a chalk board. He just wanted it to be over. He wanted it all to be over. He walked slowly over to him. "Yes, my lord?"

"I want you to go downstairs and check on Potter. Make sure he's still alive. I threw him quite harshly down the stairs. I want him in presentable shape when Snape gets here. Otherwise, this will be a waste of time."

He swallowed. "Of course, my lord."

Draco gave him a nod and then headed to the bathroom. He got a cup of warm water and a wash cloth. If Voldemort had thrown him down the stairs, he was going to be bleeding somewhere. He hurried over to the basement door and unlocked it with his wand. He glanced up at the diary floating there in the corner. He wondered what the significance of it was. It had remained in that same spot all summer. He creased his forehead, wondering about it, but then pushed it from his mind. He really didn't have time to worry about it right now.

He opened the basement door and lit his wand. He hurried down the steps. He didn't have to go far to see Harry. He was practically laying in the entrance way below, and he could already see a gash on his head. There was no telling what else he had hurt on the way down. He knelled on the stone floor beside of him.

Harry's eyes were closed. Draco dipped the cloth into the water and touched it to Harry's wound. Harry jumped, startled. He was so busy inside of his own head, trying to figure out how he was going to get of this, that he hadn't even heard anyone come down. His eyes flew open. He was surprised to see Draco there.

"What are you doing here?" Harry demanded.

"Seeing to this gash in your head," Draco told him. "The Dark Lord wants you in once piece."

"He's going to trade me for Snape, just like you said, isn't he?"

He nodded. "Afraid so."

"Voldemort told me he was going to kill me too. He won't set me free. I knew he wouldn't."

Draco frowned. He dabbed the cloth on Harry's head and he winced. It was obviously painful. Not only that, but it was bleeding a lot.

"I can't believe I fell for that act," Harry said bitterly.