23. Midnight Adventure

An hour passed by quickly.  Harry, Ron, and Hermione had stayed there in the common room studying for the Potions quiz they knew they had tomorrow.

"It's no use," Harry said.  "I'm never going to get all of this."

"Your Mum could help," Ron suggested.  "Didn't you say she liked Potions?"

"She and Professor Snape were working on one last night."

Hermione and Ron both stared at him in disbelief.  Harry shrugged.

"What?"

"Nothing," Hermione said.  "It's just...Professor Snape is not really the social type like Professor Evans."

Ron grinned.  "I don't think we have to worry about them."  He looked up at the clock.  "However, it is time to worry about Malfoy."

Harry and Hermione both followed his gaze.  Harry sighed.

"I guess you're right.  Well, let's go.  No use in waiting any longer."

"I just want you to know I think this really stupid," Hermione commented.  

"Then why are you coming?" Ron asked.

She rolled her eyes.  "Because.  I want to look after Harry.  I don't want anything to happen to him.  And if he insists on being stupid and going to meet Malfoy, I'm coming, too."

Ron and Harry looked at each other in disbelief.

"Mental, that one," Ron muttered to himself.  When Hermione asked him what he said, he just muttered, "Nothing."

They slipped out of Gryffindor tower easily enough.  It was getting caught that they were worried about.  Especially Hermione.  She had not one mark against her and she had been whispering about it the whole time.

"If we're caught, we could be expelled!"

"Oh shut up!" Ron exclaimed.  "We can't concentrate on not getting caught with all the babbling you're doing."

"Don't be so rude, Ron," Harry whispered.  "Hermione is good with spells.  We need her.  Or at least I do."

Hermione blushed, although nobody noticed.

They hadn't seen or heard a soul when they stepped up to the door leading to the third corridor.  Harry opened it, urging the others to wait outside.  He walked in alone.

The corridor was pitch black.  Harry glanced all around, but he didn't see anyone.  Malfoy was the coward.  He had stood him up.    He was about to go back out when the door flew open and Ron and Hermione came in.

"It's Filch's cat!" Hermione exclaimed.

"And Filch can't be far behind," Ron added.  "What do we do, Harry?"

Harry looked around.  If they were caught they'd all be in trouble, but Harry would be in big trouble.  His mother would kill him!  He took a step back and the torch lit itself.  The cat was standing there in front of them.  "Come on," he urged.  "Let's go this way!"

The trio ran down the corridor, the torches lighting as they ran by them.  Harry just knew Filch was on his way.  He was never far behind his manky old cat.  He spotted a door off to the right.

"Quickly!  Let's go through that door!" he shouted.

He was the first one at it so he tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge.  Frustrated, he threw his hands down. 

"It's locked!" he cried.

Ron looked panicked.  "That's it.  We're done for!"

"Oh move over!" Hermion shouted, taking her wand out of her robes.  She pointed it confidently at the door.  "Alohomora!"