Chapter 9

“Haaaaaaaaz… What are we doing here?” I asked for the nth time. We had front row seats on the stands of the gym, a few feet away from the matted section where the martial arts sports tournament was being held. I rarely ever sat in the stands (ironic how they named that really). Usually, I was out on the court being cheered by my many fans. However, that particular Wednesday did not have any interschool games for the Basketball team. The only sports having a tournament were mixed martial arts and badminton. If I had to pick between the two, the choice was really easy.

It was a simple question of boobs or balls. Hello?

Sadly, Harry wanted to sit where the balls were. I know you’re probably thinking it’s a Wednesday, what are you doing out of class? We weren’t cutting or anything like that. In Oakridge, whenever an interschool or interdivision competition was held on campus, classes were pretty much called off for all involved year levels. In this case, the entire high school didn’t have classes. It didn’t mean we could leave the school. It just meant we had to support our teams (although, I was pretty sure it was more to intimidate the other team).

And don’t think we’re getting it easy with academics either. All our teachers for the day would give enough workload to do at home that you’d wish you went to class instead.

“I told you,” Harry said, a little impatiently, “if you want to go over there and watch the badminton team play, be my guest. But I want to stay here and watch this.” I was actually surprised that Harry had resisted all my attempts, almost to the point of being vehement, in dragging him over to the badminton side. He rarely ever did something like that and my curiosity got the better of me as to why he wanted to go to the mixed martial arts side instead. However, when it became apparent that he wouldn’t tell me, I got bored and wanted to watch the female anatomy instead.

That’s not to say that there weren’t any women on that side of the gym. Sure there was maybe one for every three guys on the mat but there was just one problem with them…

“These girls are all butch,” I complained which earned me a few dirty looks from nearby parents. I smiled sheepishly at them and they simply shook their head and chuckled.

So easy.

“Aren’t you going out with Emily?” Harry asked in an annoyed tone. He actually looked away from the mats long enough to give me that disappointed look of his.

“Another reason for us to go there,” I pointed out. Emily was the team captain of Oakridge’s senior badminton varsity team (she was actually captain for each of the respective years since her middle school days). “And besides, we’re not dating-dating yet. We’re not even going out until this Saturday. I’m allowed to let my eyes wander till then.”

“Her games aren’t until later,” Harry said as he rolled his eyes and shook his head disapprovingly. “I checked. So until then, I’m sitting right here.”

“Harry,” I said in a pouty voice. I grabbed onto his arm and shook him back and forth. I pouted my lips, something he used to do when we were little. He laughed at the silly expression I must have had. “Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaza.”

“You better not let her see you like that,” he said with a smirk.

I turned around following Harry’s eyes and saw Emily walking up the stands looking towards us. The pout on my lips instantly went away to be replaced by that cool, collected grin that just spoke volumes of my greatness. I leaned back on my chair and raised one arm behind the empty seat beside me. As she approached I gave her a casual tilt of my head to give her notice of the empty seat beside me. “This one’s free.”