Chapter 6: Questions, Creatures, and Clicking

Start from the beginning

The first thing they saw as they approached was Lucy who was watching something. Somehow Susan knew what she was watching because she called out, "Peter!" They all stopped as soon as their eyes fell on the scene before them. There were creatures, centaurs, Minotaurs, and other mystical beings that Layla had always believed existed somewhere. She let out a squeal of excitement as she realized that she had been right all along. They did exist, just in Narnia instead of in their world. When Layla's eyes met Peter's all she could see was amusement. She recognized the other man from her dream. Caspian X.

Caspian examined Peter's sword for a minute before everything seemed to click. "High King Peter." He said almost in disbelief.

"I believe you called." Peter said wittily. Layla laughed surprised he had actually come up with a good come back.

"Well, yes, but..." He trailed off as he looked over the Pevensies and the two Wynters, "I thought you'd be older." He concluded. Layla scoffed. She was seventeen! A legal adult in London!

"But we're not in London, Layla." Lucy said from beside her. Layla blushed in embarrassment; she hadn't meant to say that out loud.

Peter seemed to be insulted by his words as well. "Well, if you like, we could come back in a few years..." Peter said as he began to back away from Caspian towards the group he had been traveling with.

"No!" Caspian exclaimed suddenly. "No, that's alright. You're just..." he trailed off once more trying to think of the right words to say, "You're not exactly what I expected." He said then as he once again scanned the group, though his eyes lingered on Susan longer than the others. Layla would have to point that out to her later.

"Neither are you." Edmund said then causing Layla to let a laugh loose.

"A common enemy unites even the oldest of foes." The badger from Layla's dream said wisely. Layla smiled and nodded in agreement.

Then a rat pranced forward. "We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege." He said bowing. Layla chuckled a bit, finding it a funny sight to see a rat of all things bowing. "Our hearts and swords are at your service." He offered, Peter smiled, probably because his ego was being re-inflated.

"Oh, my gosh, he is so cute." Lucy muttered.

Drawing his sword the mouse ripped around pointing his sword at the girls. "Who said that?!" He exclaimed, obviously infuriated.

"Sorry." Lucy mumbled embarrassed, and taken aback by his reaction.

"Oh. Uh..." The rat trailed of realizing it had been a queen who had said it, "Your Majesty, with the greatest respect," he bowed once more, this time to Lucy, "I do believe 'courageous', 'courteous', or 'chivalrous' might more befit a Knight of Narnia." Layla let out a snort. The mouse was a Knight? This place never ceased to amaze her.

"Well, at least we know some of you can handle a blade." Peter said, his comment obviously meant as a blow to Caspian. Layla gave him a hard look, which he couldn't see since he was still looking at the rat.

"Yes, indeed. And I have recently put it to good use, securing weapons for your army, sire." The rat told him proudly.

"Good. Because we're going to need every sword we can get." He said turning back to Caspian. Layla was surprised how grown up he sounded. This wasn't the immature, goof-off, egotistical, idiot teenager she had come to know; this was a mature, grown up, military leading, strategizing, smart, serious king.

Talk about culture shock.

"Hmmm?" Yvainne asked from beside Layla confused. Had Layla said that out loud too? Goodness she'd have to get a muzzle or something for herself if she didn't learn to keep her thoughts in her head.