Chapter 3 ~ Escape

"Oi!" I turn and see the Ringmaster walk out of his trailer steps. Victor begins to try and open the lock faster. 

"Hurry," Urges the poor Hunchback, rolling my eyes I grab the magnet contraption from Victor's hands and twist it, the lock clicks open and the cage door opens as well. Victor takes back the device, I can tell he's annoyed but slightly impressed by my actions. 

"Run the other way, meet me by the entrance, if I'm not there go here." He hands me a slip of paper an address is messily scribbled upon it I nod and turn to flee in the other direction to Victor and the Hunchback.  I hear the ringleader call out to catch them but I don't stop, I keep running as fast as my legs can carry me. 

I don't know when but somewhere along the way I lost my shoes, not that I let it stop me. I was waiting by the entrance like Victor had asked. I didn't really know why I listened to him, maybe it was because of the way he made me feel just by looking at me or maybe it was because of the way he gently brushed my fingers with his lips. Shivering I read the piece of paper again and decided I had waited long enough. 

***

It took me a while to find the house, I had to ask around and many people were not fond of Victor. Many people were not fond of me either, the dower-less girl in a dress with bare feet, I didn't give the best impression. Knocking on the door I felt a sudden wave of nerves overwhelm me. The door didn't open and I assumed that they either were not home, or asleep. I began to turn away until I remembered Victor's words, he wanted me to be here. Trying the door I found it was not locked and I stepped inside. I hoped no one saw me and thought to call the police thinking I was intruding. 

The wooden floor was cold against my bare feet, sounds rippled through the floor it sounded almost like, lightening. Swallowing I continued through the door into the living room. The place was a mess nearly every surface wascovered with medical equipment, trinkets andother assorted junk.  

"Victor!" My voice sounded strange in the almost silence of the room. As soon as the words left my lips the other sound stopped and the trap door slammed open making me jump. Victor appeared with a smile. 

"You came." 

"I did," He came to stand in front of me, blue eyes looking into mine once more, "Where is the hunch-"

"Igor," He corrected me, "His name is Igor and he is no hunchback," He smiled at the frown on my face and walked over to the table closest to him and picked up a large syringe. "He had an abscess a rather large one too, eighteen years large."

"Did you drain it?" Abscesses where nasty, I can't imagine how horrid it must have been to have one for eighteen years, I'd read about them in one of father's books. He nodded smiling, he placed the syringe back on the table. 

"How much do you know about the Anatomy Melanie?" His voice held a glimpse of amusement that brought a smile to my face. 

"Enough to know that Igor needs a back brace," I smirked smugly as he took my face in his hands. He looked intently into my eyes, searching my very soul. 

"You will have to stay on the couch, unless that is you want to share my bed with me?" He raised an eyebrow and for a moment the thought crossed my mind but I quickly dismissed it. 

"The couch is fine."