Chapter 23: A Future That Isn't Meant For Them

18th December, 2015

Rasul Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: "Whenever a non-mahram man and woman meet in seclusion, Shaytaan definitely is the third one joining them."

(Tirmidhi)

Chapter 23:

A Future That Isn't Meant For Them

"Shabana, I think I should stop calling you meethi."

"Why so?" Shabana asked her husband wearily, preparing herself for the kind of reply that could be expected from Jawed when he was sporting his signature broad grin.

"Meethi means sweet, and these days you're complaining that your diabetes isn't under control, your blood sugar is flaring up. I don't want to increase the sweetness in your life by calling you meethi."

Dina laughed at her father in law's jests and that laughter only turned louder when the wife replied, "You're so used to saying meethi everyday that I'm afraid if you don't call me that, you'll use the word for another woman. I don't trust you on it."

She looked at the couple as they conversed, wondering what made them survive almost thirty years of marriage together. It was beautiful how they still had the spark in their life and Jawed couldn't go a day without having Shabana's tea the first thing in the morning. Clearly, the years together had only blossomed their life and Dina found her heart craving for the same.

At the thought, she turned to look towards the bedroom where Bilal was sleeping in, and she almost sighed. They were staying the night over at Shabana's place and since the car ride, she hadn't gotten a moment alone with her hubby, who was clearly upset.

After their dinner as a family, he had straight up walked to the bedroom, announcing that he was too tired and needed rest, while Jawed coaxed Dina into sitting with him as he wished to spend some time with both his daughters, one who was new and the other who was getting married soon.

As Shabana turned off the light of the kitchen, declaring that she needed to hit the bed now and walked to her bedroom after saying Salam, Dina found herself tucking her feet under her on the couch and looking at Jawed.

"What's the plan, Abba?" She asked.

"It's story night," Naila all but squealed, putting her phone aside and giving her father and sister her undivided attention.

"You know, Dina, don't go by Abba's long beard and reputation in the Masjid now. As Islamic as people see him these days, he was a notorious boy in his youth," Naila started and Dina couldn't help but laugh, despite her sullen mood.

"In the time I've spent with him so far, it isn't really unbelievable that Abba would have been a prankster," Dina agreed and Jawed took off his spectacles, putting it in the case and turning towards Dina.

"If you want to use your present day terms, then I was a total heart breaker. You have no idea how many girls were disappointed when I married Shabana," he boasted with a grin and Dina couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips.

"That's exaggeration, Dina. Dad wasn't as popular as he claims himself to be."

"Do you want me to show you the hate letter that girl wrote for Shabana after we got married?"

"You still have it?" Dina asked with an amused smile.

"He even has Xerox copies of it, just to remind mum how blessed she is to have him," Naila replied shaking her head and Dina looked at her father in law in amusement. "Fine, before Abba shares more stories with us, I'll make us popcorn and chocolate shakes."