Chapter 20: Lost Battles and Buried Dreams

27th November, 2015

'No slave of Allah will truly believe until he believes in Al Qadr its good and bad from Allah, until he knows that what has befallen him was not going to miss him and that what missed him was not going to befallen him.'

(Tirmidhi)

Chapter 20:

Lost Battles and Buried Dreams

The loud piercing ring of the alarm woke up Bilal and as he randomly fumbled with his phone, he was slightly annoyed that he couldn't swipe the right key to shut that noise. Grumbling in his sleep, he peeked open one eye and did not dare to press snooze as he put an end to that monotonous tone.

He was about to go back to sleep but both his eyes flew open as Dina's sleeping form came into view. Her head was rested on Bilal's right arm and she had her arm around him. Sleep was forgotten as a smile graced Bilal's lips, his hand moving on its own accord to push back her hair, which was still damp from their shower before Fajr.

Her innocent look was multiplied ten folds as she slept and Bilal had a burning desire to keep her happy every second of his life. He didn't exactly know why, but he was willing to shun his otherwise silent self when she was around. Bilal wasn't exactly the kind to be able to easily gel along with new folk. He was exceptionally quiet in front of ladies or sisters he didn't know, although it was a different story when he was among people he knew. 

The point, however, was that, he had been quicker than he imagined in accepting Dina in his life. The first few meetings they'd had, there was no much interaction, but after the wedding he was surprisingly more comfortable than he thought himself to be. So long, Dina had been easy going and least demanding, and he felt like he had known her for more time than they had spent together.

Of course, one would expect this after a wedding but this was so much more than that. Just a few days since the nikah, and Dina was able to evoke such strong emotions in him. Conversation with her was easy, she did not seem fussy and he absolutely loved how she respected his family, especially his mum, for he admired the lady beyond all words. While Bilal was also aware that this was just the beginning and things need not be smooth every time, he knew they'd survive all odds, in sha Allah.

Granted, she was slightly clumsy, she still needed time to open up to him, she could be emotional and she cared more than she should. Then again, these were added reasons why he was beginning to fall for her. In his eyes, her imperfections made her perfect. It didn't matter that she wasn't exemplary, she was his and that was enough.

He didn't know as the clock ticked and moments passed, he wasn't aware how many minutes he spent gazing at her, all he knew was that this peaceful image of Dina while she was sleeping calmed his mind.

It was only when she stirred in her sleep did he break out of his trance and quickly closed his eyes, composing himself and pretending to be fast asleep.

Dina lifted her hand to her face and blocked the rays of sunlight, squinting her eyes as she looked at Bilal. Just like her husband, a small smile graced her lips at his supposed sleeping image. She found herself fully awake now, admiring the scene in front of her. 

Since Bilal had missed the Jamaath by a few minutes, he had prayed Fajr at home, leading his wife in Salah. It was the first time Dina was praying behind her husband and she couldn't help the one tear that managed to escape her eyes as she fell in sujood behind him. The serenity of the prayer engulfed her as she prayed to The Most Loving with the one she loved.