Chapter 24. Leaving.

~Four months later~
Rapunzel's POV
"It's for the best that we leave." Jack explained to Esmerelda. All of us were ready to leave this place. Emma had her little collection of belongings tucked away in her backpack, Merida clung onto Hiccup's arm as if she was going to be captured at any second and Jack and I were beyond tired from the lack of sleep where we would stay up and protect the others in paranoia. Jim was another story. The guy was completely wrecked. Ever since Ariel passed away he was never the same.
"But I have everything here!" Esmerelda cried out in anger.
"You're welcome to come with us! We are travelling to Atlanta." I said soothingly.
"And why would I leave this haven, it has food, running water and shelter!" Esmerelda gestured to her surroundings.
"Whether you like it or not we are going." Hiccup said sternly.
"Good riddance!" She screamed before storming off. Jack looked down at me with sadness in his eyes before turning to the others.
"Let's just go." He muttered. I grabbed hold of his hand and walked along side him as we left the dreaded mall.
~~~
"How long will it be until we reach Atlanta?" Jim finally spoke a few hours after we had left.
"Not sure, a day or two?" Hiccup said as he inspected a map on the side of a highway.
"Alright..."Jim mumbled.
"Don't worry Jim, you'll feel like shit now but it will take time for your heart to heal." Emma smiled sympathetically. A warm fuzzy feeling over came me as I heard Emma speak those words.
"I told her that when our parents died..." Jack mumbled from beside me as we walked.
"She was wise to listen." I replied.