Chapter 1. Present day.

Hiccup's POV.
I yanked my sweater over my shoulders then pulled on my cotton socks, I hauled on my boots then trudged outside to find Rapunzel. She sat on a log with her head bowed. I sighed and sat next to her before patting her shoulder. For 9 months now, we had been traveling north. To get to the colder parts of the country. It was kinda hard since we lived in Texas but now we're nearly there. I hope. But where was 'there'? That is the question I ask myself everyday.
"You okay?" I asked her gently.
"Yeah." She replied emotionless. I stand up but she suddenly spoke again.
"Hic, there's someone in the forest." Punze said anxiously. I spun around to see smoke rising from the trees.
"We better move..." I said deeply. Punze nodded in response and we began to pack away our supplies. We glanced back to check we had left no trace of our camp. Cautiously we jogged through the field until our lungs were begging for a break. We had to be carful at this precise moment in time, we had a gun...just no ammo, I guess the only functioning weapon we had was the rusty frying pan.
"Hiccup, we can't keep running! We need find some weapons." Rapunzel crouched down to catch her breath and I rummaged trough my backpack to find our water bottle. I passed it to her and she took a long swig. Punze handed it back for me to have a gulp.
"I say we travel until sunset." I proclaimed. Punze stood up and walked alongside me.
"Yeah..." She sighed.
~️Rapunzel's POV~
Hiccup and I walked for another three hours before settling down for a bit.
"We should look for a village or town or something to look for supplies." I suggested. A gentle breeze danced passed the long grass we were sitting in.
"Yeah.." Hiccup sighed. I helped him up and we began to travel to the closest ounce of civilisation.
~~~
Quietly, I pulled my frying pan from my rucksack and held it up like a baseball bat. Hiccup stood behind me as we crept around the corner of an abandoned building.
"All clear..." I mumbled to him. He nods and we split up. I watched him as he broke into a deserted pharmacy and once he was out of sight I entered an empty house. The windows were broken and glass laid in small pieces covering the floors. I listened out for any activity and continued forward.
~Hiccup's POV~
The pharmacy smelt damp and had an eerie silence to it. Some shelves had fallen and some were smashed to splinters. Stealthily, I tiptoed around the glass and empty pill bottles on the floor and made my way to the back of the shop to the supplies closet. There had to be something in here that would benefit us in some way! I pulled on the handle a couple of times until I decided it was not going to budge. I shuffled around looking for something that might help me open the door.
"Bingo!" I whispered as spotted some scissors on the desk. I wedged them In-between the wood of the door and the lock and yanked the two away. The lock fell to the floor with a metal jingle. Quickly, I pushed open the door and revealed a squeaky clean medicine bank. I smirked and began loading up my bag.
~Rapunzel's POV~
The top floor of the house was a little neater than the ground floor. There were two bedrooms, one master and a nursery. I decided to investigate the nursery first because you know, if there was a zombie baby I don't think it would do much. I chuckled at my own joke quietly as I stepped over a fallen rocking horse. I sighed sadly as I looked into the crib. Little blood splashes were dotted across the blankets which then followed onto the floor. I took one last look around the room before moving onto the master bedroom. Even though Hiccup and I had been looting houses for a few months now, I still felt as if I was breaking and entering. Its as if my mind is telling me this will all end soon and everything will be reversed. But it won't.
I rummaged through some draws and inspect under the bed, in the closet and the bathroom and I only managed to find some bandages.
Suddenly, I heard the sound of crunching glass from downstairs. I don't make any sound in case it's not Hiccup. I panicked slightly before creeping into the bathroom and hiding behind the mouldy shower curtain. Well done Punze! Great hiding place! I internally scolded myself. Loud footsteps padded up the stairs, my heart beat quickened in fear as they got closer and closer until they entered the bathroom....